In Lieu of Rhinoplasty, Can Fat Be Transfered from the Nose?

Hi! I just gave birth going on 6 years ago and during my pregnancy, my skin and body underwent changes.

One of the changes was my nose stretched clear across my face and had a bulbous like thickness that, to this day, has never gone away.

I even lost 80lbs. My nose is small in appearance, but too fat. Can't I have this fat transferred with the buttocks procedure this summer? Thnx!

Enlarged nose from pregnancy

+3

There is virtually no fat between the dermis and the muscle in the nose. The subcutaneous fat is either extremely thin or non-existent. Enlargement of the nasal skin might be as a consequence of retained fluid after trauma. Possiblly, your hormonal changes during pregnancy stimulated thickening of the dermis, not fat. oil glands can increase in size in rosacea and this condition is called rhinophyma. Rhinophyma is usuallly lumpy and not a generalized homogenous thicknening of the dermis. You can see enlarged pores and almost cysts with rhinophyma and it is a condition that is much more common in men and very rare in women. Probability then says that your dermis is thicker and I wonder if corticosteroid injections could help. Unfortunately, there are risks to this treatment and you would have to discuss it very carefully with your physician. They may not want to peform such a treatment as could be considered experimental, and maybe even leave you with irregularities and depressions rather than a smooth and thinner nose.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to see if your nose can be surgically thinned. I wish you luck with your investigation.

Fat is not typically transferred from the nose

+2

Fat is not typically present in a sufficient quantity in one's nose to allow it to be used for enhancement in another part of the body.

There are procedures to narrow the nose and we would be happy to see you in consultation for that.

Fat transfer from the nose insted of rhinoplasty.

+1

The nose is made up of various tissues (bone, cartilage, skin, mucus membrane, etc;)  Ther is very little fat in the nose.  There would not be enough fat in the nose to perform a liposuction procedure.

Tissues can change thoughout our life.  Pregnancy can change many things in our body.  It sounds like your body went through some changes.  I doubt it was significant deposit of fat.  You may have rhinophyma.  Best to see a experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-nose

Transferring fat from the nose instead of rhinoplasty

+1

It is best to have your nose evaluated by a competent experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. If need be, consult with several surgeons.

I cannot imagine that any of the surgeons would recommend transferring fat from the nose. Improvements on the contour of the nose are best achieved by working on the bony cartilaginous structure with minor soft tissue refinements in selected circumstances.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Liposuction...

+1

While I am sure your body sustained some changes with your pregnancy - You MUST be joking or exercising some poetic license in claiming that "my nose stretched clear across my face "...

Such a are achievement, achieved naturally, without the use of a grabbing and twisting tool, would even engender professional jealousy from a member of the Spanish Inquisition which was quite inventive at painfully changing human anatomy.

The skin of the nose is densely attached to the underlying frame of the nose and is hardly ever accompanied by a significant underlying fat deposit. Even in obese people, the nose does NOT reflect the surrounding fat enlargement. As a result, I have NEVER heard or see liposuction of the nose. The operation thankfully does not exist.

But - let us hypothetically say it DID exist - UNLESS you managed to store about a quart or so of fat in your nose (a physical impossibility which would have your nose resembling a baby elephant's trunk), you would not have sufficient fat for such an improbable operation.

Dr. P. Aldea

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.