Rhinoplasty for Fat Nose?

I'm only 16, but it bothers me so much that I have a fat nose. I look like I have a guy's nose, and it takes over my face. When I smile, it flares and gets bigger! Can Rhinoplasty help with this?

Nose contouring or rhinoplasty to reduce nasal width

+1

Rhinoplasty is commonly performed to reduce the width of the nose.  Considering the nose from top to bottom rhinoplasty is often used to:

1. manipulate the nasal bones (osteotomies) to create narrowing of the upper third

2. adjust the width of the middle third of the nose - often requires removal and/or adding cartilage

3. refine the tip of the nose through contouring and/or adding cartilage

4. reduce nasal base width (alar base reduction)

3D imaging (eg Vectra) is a great way for you and your surgeon to discuss your concerns and to create a realistic simulation that highlights your specific surgical goals.

Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Nose

+1

Without seeing your nose, it is safe to say that a rhinoplasty can change the size and contour of a large nose. There are limitations, depending on the thickness of the overlying skin. At this stage I recommend seeing a rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your needs and explain what can be done.  

Rhinoplasty is a static operation

+1

A rhinoplasty is not done for smiling and flaring. A rhinoplasty is a static operation, and even after a rhinoplasty, your nose will still look wide when you smile. Certainly, the nose tip and bridge can be feminized, refined, and improved to further balance with your face.

Rhinoplasty is great for wide noses

+1

A wide nose can be reshaped through rhinoplasty. Nose reshaping is one of the most complicated procedures in plastic surgery. The techniques used for the wide nose can vary depending on where the width is of concern.

The top third of the nose is made up of bone and the middle, cartilage and the lower third more cartilage but even more skin. There are different procedures for each area. The upper third requires manipulating and controlled breaking of the nasal bones in rhinoplasty. The middle third requires manipulating cartilage and part of the process of breaking the bones allows the middle third to become narrowed. The lower third requires or can require making the tip smaller and sometimes excising some skin on the sides of the nose can help make the base of the nose more narrow.

Sometimes, it is harder to make the nasal tip narrower if the cause is due to skin thickness. People try to overcome this by defatting the tip or adding grafts to shape it more. Consulting a surgeon who has extensive experience and a deep fundamental knowledge of rhinoplasty is a must for a great result. You want to go to someone with the best training.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat nose rhinoplasty

+1

Most likely rhinoplasty would be able to help you with your concerns.  A wide oversized nose is a common concern of patients.  You need to find a well qualified surgeon to have a consultation with to adequately answer your question however. 

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon