Rhinoplasty - Ethnic? (photo)

Hello. My goal with rhinoplasty would not be to produce a less ethnic looking nose. I like the length of my nose from my profile. But, I do feel that my nose as seen in photo is not proportioned with my other features, especially from a front view/when smiling. I have noticed during the past two years that the nose cartilage especially around the nose tip and sides has also gotten larger creating a bulbous effect. Is a minor rhino procedure to create natural/proport. feminine look possible?

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

Ethnic rhinoplasty is not a minor procedure.  Sculpting the nasal tip, bridge, and ala to feminize and refine the nose is a full rhinoplasty performed under general anesthesia.  The tip cartilages can be sculpted, adjusted and sutured to refine and narrow the nasal tip.  Osteotomies are performed to narrow the nasal bridge while an alarplasty is performed to narrow the nostrils.  The extent of anticipated change is best addressed at the time of the consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

You might like having more tip definition.  This can be done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does ethnic rhinoplasties.  The issue of nostril flare, however, is tougher.  When you smile, the muscles that insert into the nostrils and upper lip pull outward. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

African-American rhinoplasty.

+1

You would benefit from refining the tip and narrowing the nostrils.  This should be done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural ethnic noses. 

Nasal flare/ Alarplasty

+1

The wide nose that gets worst on smiling can be corrected with a quick procedure called Alarplasty (reducing the nostril edges). That usually reduces the width of the nose without changing much in its shape.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Ethnic rhinoplasties can be one of the most challenging surgeries that Plastic Surgeons perform. The tip rhinoplasty or "tip-plasty" will reshape a large bulbous tip, but by no means is this a minor procedure. A natural, feminine look is possible. But, make sure you do your homework and find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in the ethnic nose (African American, Asian, Latino, etc.) and performs ethnic rhinoplasties on a frequent basis.

Thank you for your question and best of luck in achieving your goals!

Gregory C. Park

Gregory Park, MD