Rhinoplasty Edema >1 Year Later?

I'm a physician myself and underwent a septorhinoplasty a little over a year back. No implant was used, and the rhinoplasty was only reduction. I just felt it would be worthwhile to get that done as well since I had to get the septoplasty done. Anyway, my concern is the little bit of edema / swelling still persisting in the distal 1/2 of the dorsum. I can clearly 'feel' the bump at the halfway point on the dorsum. The surgeon has since moved to Australia. Should I get it checked out or is it normal?

Rhinoplasty bump post-op

+2

Dear richardd

• The anatomy of the nose and skin is such that the skin is thinnest where the bone and cartilage meet
  • This means that you may feel a bump, but should not see it
  • If you think about the skin getting thinner, then you need a little extra cartilagenous/bony support so that the look of the nose retains a nice profile
  • If the bump is not visible, I would leave it alone, if it is visible, then please seek out a surgeon for an opinion, sometimes an office injection can take care of it

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Bump Still Present on Nose

+1

If the bump is visible, then see a plastic surgeon to determine if there is additional cartilage that needs to be resected.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

1 year post-op

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern

Sam Naficy, MD

Bump of nose

+1

If you are unhappy with a bump on the nose after rhinoplasty, it sounds like you should be seen  by a plastic surgeon.