Second Surgery for Nose Tip or Wait It Out?

It has only been 15 days Rhinoplasty post-op and swelling has not yet subsided. I sought to add definition to the tip and to reduce my alar bases. However, it's concerning that my tip now droops and my right nostril has an ugly notch. My tip was rounder before but it was certainly not droopy. Has this been noted before in cases where the nose has turned out alright after the long 12-18 month waiting period? Or am I correct in thinking that I require a secondary surgery? Thanks in advance.

Revision surgery after Rhinoplasty

+2

Revisions after rhinoplasty are occasionally necessary. Opinions differ, but most surgeons recommend waiting a minimum of six months before proceeding with a revision. In many cases, the perceived problem has disappeared or improved markedly by then.

The decision about how and when to intervene should be a collaborative decison between you and your physician. He or she is the best person to do the revision for you, because they have the best knowledge about exactly what was done at the first surgery. Additionally, in most cases you would only be responsible for the facility and/or anesthesia fees for revision surgery and not another fee for the surgeon. If you go to another doctor, you would be charged for a surgical fee as well. Because revision surgery is more difficult than primary (initial) rhinoplasty, this fee is often higher as well.

I hope this discussion becomes a moot point for you, and I wish you the best of luck!

Clearwater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Way too soon to tell.

+2

Wait a minimum of 12 months and usually all the problems you mentioned will subside. If not your doctor can do a minor procedure to fix small problems, but it is normal to have what you have at this time!

Secondary rhinoplasty

+2

It's much to early to judge your results. Ethnic noses commonly have thicker skin and thus a longer healing interval. You will see changes for up to a year and maybe even longer. This does not guarantee that you will be happy at that time, but there will be significant change. Revisional surgery at this juncture would be strongly contraindicated.

Be Patient, Your Nose Will Change Alot Over the Next FOUR Months

+1

The nose will undergo many changes over the first four months after surgery. After four months, the majority of the swelling will have dissipated, but it will take at least 12 months for all of the changes to occur.

Be patient. Rhinoplasty results can take time to become apparent. The amount of swelling and how long it persists after rhinoplasty depends on several factors such as the surgeon's technique, open versus closed approach, whether the nasal bones were broken, and the number of prior nasal surgeries. African american patients have thicker skin and the results can take longer to become apparent.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon