Dorsal Hump Looks the Same After Rhinoplasty

I had a Rhinoplasty to remove a dorsal hump, something I had wanted to do for many years. I'm two weeks post-op and still have the hump, except now it's higher up on the bridge of my nose. I'm embarassed to face the people that know I had Rhinoplasty because I basically look the same. Will the hump go away eventually? And if it is swelling, what can I do to help the healing process go by faster?

Dorsal Hump still Present two weeks after Rhinoplasty

Two weeks after surgery is too soon to make any judgements regarding your surgical result.

It is probably just swelling which decreases at intervals of 6 weeks, 3months, 6months and 1 year. Continue to elevate your head while sleeping, drink plenty of water, and be patient. I am sure you will have a great result!

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on the nose

If it is only two weeks after your surgery, it is still to early to judge. There is still too much swelling.

When someone gets a bump reduced on their nose, there is a lot of work done on the bridge of the nose. This creates a lot of swelling and inflammation in the area. That's why it can look that the bump is still there.

It might take a month or more before the swelling goes down enough to know if the profile will be straight.

John Diaz, MD

Timeline for Rhinoplasty swelling

Two weeks after surgery is really way too soon to make any judgements at all about your surgery.

Here is what i tell my patients:

a) it takes 3 months for 75% of the swelling to go away

b) it takes 12 months for the remaining 25% to go away

Given the above information it should be clear that two weeks post-op is no indication at all for how you will look.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

This is probably only swelling.

It takes months, not days for the swelling to go down. I seem to answer this question repeatedly. The surgeons must not be doing their job well. I tell every patient at least 3 times before surgery that the swelling will take 6-12 months to go down-especially the tip.

Therefore, relax: it will go away. Enjoy your new nose.