Distorted Nose when Smiling After Rhinoplasty

A year ago, I had a Rhinoplasty done. Ever since then, whenever I smile, my nostrils go way up and my nose stretches to the side, and it all causes my nose to look big, long and distorted. What can be done? Thank you!

Muscles of facial animation!

+4

Your smile muscles are pulling on your nose. This is probably a normal occurence that has only become more noticeable after the rhinoplasty - not a likely cause of your complaint. Your doctor can usually adjust or cut the muscle to the nostril. He or she can also narrow your nostrils. See your doctor to discuss all options.

Distorted Nose When Smiling After Rhinoplasty...Revision Time

+3

Hi LB2009,

Photographs of your nose (frontal and profile, smiling and not smiling) would be very helpful in answering your question.

In that your nose bothers you, you should discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon, and/or seek consultation with a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist

+1

This is not a rare complaint about this problem. It is caused by strong muscles that go from the cheek to the nostril. These muscles pull the cheek and nostril out and the tip of the nose down. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area to evaluate your problem.

Rhinoplasty is a static operation

+1

There is not much that can be done for an animated nose upon smiling. The rhinoplasty operation is a static operation and it is not done for dynamic action with respect to the orbicularis oris muscle pulling on the nose itself. There is usually nothing that can be done about this however, one could potentially try to put a couple of drops of Botox in the area of the nasofacial junction to see if this could help reduce the strength of the smile muscle.