Difficulty of Performing a Rhinoplasty for my Upturned Nose?

My nose is very upturned. The top of my nose is straight, but the part between my nostrils is at a high angle. How difficult is it to perform a rhinoplasty surgery in comparison with other cases? Will it be more difficult to achieve a satisfactory outcome?

It is very difficult to bring an upturned nose down.

+2

It is very difficult to bring a pushed-up nose down. There are multiple different surgical techniques such as cartilage grafting and other maneuvers to decrease the projection and give more tip ptosis to a very upturned tip. Other tip suturing techniques can be performed in patients, with caudal extension grafts to bring the nose back down. This can be a very difficult operation to do, and your nose will probably never look the same as it was prior to the first surgery.

Upturned Nose

+1

Lengthening a nose is usually one of the more difficult maneuvers in rhinoplasty surgery. I hate to sound repetitive, but this is best done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. In good hands, I'm confident you  will be satisfied.

It depends on the surgeon and the surgery.

+1

For an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon, this is common, usually as a result of a poor primary rhinoplasty. Sometimes it is just the way it grew. This can be lengthened if needed at the same time as the rest of the rhinoplasty. 

Sounds like it might be little more of a challenge

+1

It is always easier to turn a nose up rather than reduce the nasal tip rotation. Having stated this, in the hands of an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you should be able to accomplish your goals if they are reasonable and realistic. This is why a personal consultation is so important when considering a Rhinoplasty. Make sure your surgeon is very experienced like both of my colleagues who have already responded as this will be the best predictor of success.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for an upturned nose

+1

Each patient must be evaluated and treated as an individual for Rhinoplasty. To say that one is more difficult than others is hard to characterize. You should seek out a specialist in rhinoplasty for any nasal operation. This person will be best qualified to answer your question after a personal examination. To quote Dr. Jan Beekhius: “Anyone with proficient technical ability can be taught to perform a rhinoplasty; obtaining consistently good results, though, is difficult”

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty for upturned Nose

+1

All rhinoplasties should be considered hard as the result depends not only on the skill of the surgeon but also how the scars heal and pull on different areas of the nose.

In general , bringing down an upturned nose is not very difficult.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon