Rhinoplasty Deprojection of a Nose? (photo)

I'm considering a rhinoplasty surgery to fix the bulbous tip of my nose, and at the same time debating about reducing it's projection (horizontal distance from cheek to the tip of the nose). I've read that deprojection is a more complicated surgery which requires shaving of the entire bridge and thus carries a higher risk + higher procedure cost. Please share your knowledge/advise/opinion and suggest if I should only focus on my bulbous tip or make the projection smaller as well. Thank you!

Rhinoplasty Deprojection of a Nose?

+1

The bulbous nature can be reduced and refined, but the proportions do not suggest that deprojection will be necessary.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Deprojection rhinoplasty

+1

You are correct that this can be one of the most challenging types of rhinoplasty. However a little deprojection is not the same as a lot of deprojection. It also matters if your tip needs rotation. Deprojection then rotation is needed is not as hard as deprojection when rotation is not desired. There's a lot of nuance in nose surgery. 

The good news is that you don't seem to need deprojection, just tip-plasty to narrow the lower part of the nose. This is not nearly as complicated. Get a consult with imaging to see how it might look. 

Best of luck. 

Web reference: Http://newfaceny.com

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Deprojection of a Nose?

+1

From the photos provided, the nose is wide, nasal tip is wide and the chin is weak...but the nasal tip is not over-projected.  A weak chin will make the nose appear larger than it truly is.  Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant would address these issues.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

Nasal deprojection

+1

Deprojection of the tip is jsut one maneuver that can be performed in rhinoplasty.  This can be combined with other maneuvers to reduce the dorsum, refine the tip, etc..

Decreasing Projection of the Bridge and Tip

+1

In addition to reducing and defining a bulbous tip, reducing the projection of the bridge is frequently done. Decreasing tip projection, if necessary, is more challenging because you want to avoid increasing tip width with this change. Select an experienced specialist so you can achieve a natural, balanced result.  

Reducing the projection of the nose during rhinoplasty

+1

Often it is beneficial to reduce projection of the nose, or the tip alone, and what is required depends on the plan and balance of the nose. We can work out the subtle changes with computer simulation and then put that plan to practice during the rhinoplasty. Deprojection is simply a technique in rhinoplasty, no greater risk than other steps in the rhinoplasty process, and the cost built in to any 'complete' rhinoplasty procedure.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty to de-project the nose

+1

De-projecting the nose is a very common maneuver performed during the rhinoplasty procedure. it's simply repeat involved shaving down cartilage along the bridge line. Reducing the bulbous tip involves suturing the tip cartilages together along with the conservative cartilage removal  to refine and narrow the shape of the  nasal tip. Please see the link below for noses the we have is decreased the projection upon in our rhinoplasty  practice.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com/progallery/overlynosey_photos06.html

Rhinoplasty Deprojection of a Nose?

+1

Yes, you may consider deprojection of the tip and bridge as well as subtle derotation of the tip. The cost of the procedure is typically related to the time that it takes to complete the surgery and its complexity. Thus, the more changes you want to make to your nose, the most costly the procedure might be. This varies from surgeon to surgeon, however. As you pointed out, the more changes to a nose one makes, the more potential for problems down the road. However, the changes that you're suggesting are very commonly requested and typically can be created with issue. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of a over projected nasal tip

+1

Decreasing tip projection is a routine portion of a rhinoplasty and done when required.  There is no increase in cost, its all about getting it right and in harmony with your other facial features.  

Deprojection of the bulbous nasal tip.

+1

Deprojection of the bulbous nasal tip is really not needed for your nose only reduction of the bulbous tip and possibly narrowing of your bridge. The cost is the same and u will have some deprojection with reducing the bulbous tip.