Wearing Sunblock After Rhinoplasty

I had a rhinoplasty six days ago, How long after is it safe to wear sunblock on the nose? I was reading that sun exposure can affect the nose, how long after surgery is it safe to wear sun block, or should I just wear a hat for a while?

Wearing Sunblock and Sunscreen after Rhinoplasty, Nose surgery

+2

Please consult your plastic surgeon for more specific recommendations.

Generally speaking, after two weeks it is safe to apply the sun block as long as there are no open incisions.

As with any procedure, it is a great idea not to have scars exposed to sun rays.

Hope this was helpful.

Sun and rhinoplasty

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sunblock 1 Week after Rhinoplasty

+1

As long as there is no tape or dressings on the nose, you can  apply sunblock immediately. Some form of sunblock should used whenever you are outdoors for the next 6-8 weeks. Do not rely on a hat.

Sunblock should be used after surgery

+1

In general, all areas of the skin involved with surgery will be more sensitive to the sun for weeks to months after the incision has healed.  Protecting your new investment is only common sense. Talk with your surgeon regarding the best time to start applying sunblock.  It will usually be soon after the sutures are out.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sunblock application after Rhinoplasty

+1

As long as there are no open wounds where the sunblock can be trapped in there is no reason why you should not be able to GENTLY put sunblock on now. It will only help you heal better .

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea