Rhinoplasty 2 Days Ago, Very Swollen Hard Tip, Surgeon is Going to Use Steroid Injections, Will They Work?

if it doesn't work what is another option? he is going to do it sooner rather than later, I Read that if you wait too long, say a year, its likley going to do nothing for the nose. thank you

Healing takes time

+1

At two days post-procedure, your nose is expected to be swollen and uncomfortable. Be patient. I hope you are feeling better about your procedure and healing as it has been almost 2 weeks now. If you still have concerns, trust your doctor and follow the advice given. Remember swelling can last 6 months to a year.
Best of luck to you!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two days post rhinoplasty is too soon to do anything.

+1

Dear Eliza;

I think you are suffering from post-rhinoplasty nervousness.  No rhinoplasty result can be judged two days after surgery.  Of course the tip is expected to be swollen and firm.  Please do not pressure your surgeon into doing something his heart says is incorrect.  Your tip swelling will be reduced in several days.

The problem with doing a steroid injection now is that it may artificially over-correct the tip.  Then, after Nature does its work, in its own sweet time, you may be left with a depression you don’t want.

Right now, the best thing is to have patience and ask your doctor to be patient with you.  Rest assured, your nose will look better in a week, and then even better in two weeks, and then even better in a month or two. 

Again, it is hard to make a clinical judgment from only your question, but my years of experience suggest that an anxious patient and a nervous doctor are a dangerous duo.  Give Nature some time - you’ll be amazed how “time heals all wounds.” 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Steroid Injections for Swollen, Hard Tip

+1

Various surgeons have different opinions about steroid injections, but most feel that limited use can be helpful, especially in patients with thick skin. The injections will be more beneficial when done early in the healing process, ie, "sooner rather than later". The other option for treatment of a swollen, hard tip is time. You are only 2 days post-op.

Steroid injections after rhinoplasty

+1

Unless there is more to your story than you are disclosing, I think 2 days post op is way too early to consider steroid injection to your nose. Your surgeon knows best, but firmness and swelling are very typical this soon after surgery, and if your nose is taped and splinted, it should be well supported. Try to be patient, and if needed later, a Kenalog injection can still be done.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injection after rhinoplasty

+1

I must confess I don't know how this would work or be done. Almost all of my patients are taped and splinted at two days and so it's impossible to judge the need for injection. Occasionally in a patient with extremely thick skin of scarring from revision I will inject at the end of the surgery before splinting and taping.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steroid injections and rhinoplasty

+1

I am not a big fan of steroid injections to the nose. Steroids have their downside as well including subcutaneous fat wasting, discoloration, and spider vein development. That being said some patients may benefit from it.

Steroids 2 days post rhinoplasty

+1

I would be very careful with an injection of steroids at this early stage. I am not sure why your would be having this problem, and whether another option may be better.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty two days post surgical

+1
Steroids two days post surgery is a very bad idea. While steroids particularly kenalog may be very effective in reducing swelling of the nasal tip this is way to soon for treatment. Please rediscuss with your surgeon the pros and cons of steroid injections and what the potential side effects and post results may cause at this early intervention. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Steroid Use After Rhinoplasty

+1

Steroid injections, particularly Kenalog ( Triamcinolone) works very well in reducing swelling and scar tissue.  Used judiciously, it can be very beneficial.  However, there is a potential of thinning the overlying skin too much, so  a conservative approach is the best. 

Philip Miller, MD