Damaged Rhinoplasty Results from Pulling Sutures?

I by accidently pulled out a large clump of dried blood with dissolvable sutures while I was cleaning my nose, 9-10 days after Rhinoplasty. Did I damage the results? I'm really concerned. I feel that this may affect the appearance of the tip of my nose once I'm fully healed.

Pulling sutures at a week

+3

Dear Coco,

While I cannot say for certain, I would not be overly concerned about those sutures. The important (structural) sutures will not "accidentally" come out. The ones you removed were most likely just on the mucosa, and 7 days is plenty of time. On open rhinoplasty, I remove my skin sutures around 5 days so they do not leave marks. The reason we use absorbable sutures on the inside of the nose for the mucosa, it that it would be very uncomfortable and difficult to remove these sutures in an awake patient (you can imagine why!) Rest easy - you will be fine!

Rhinoplasty Recovery: Dissolvable Sutures

+2

Most rhinoplasty surgeons close the intranasal incisions with a dissolvable suture that persists 7-14 days. As the sutures start to dissolve, they weaken and can come out on their own. This is normal and should not pose any risk to your result.

If you have concerns, you should let your surgeon re-examine you, but most likely, you have not caused any problems.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

No problem with this.

+2

The stitches were probably the type that come out then. So you can relax and enjoy your new nose--just avoid hitting it hard enough to break it.