Crooked Nose and Drooping Septum After Rhinoplasty

I had Rhinoplasty 30 days ago and my nose still looks just as big. My nose also seems to be crooked to the right and my septum has dropped in the last 4 weeks since surgery. It looked fine when my cast came off, but has drooped down. Is that normal? Will it go back up after swelling?

Crooked Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

This soon after rhinoplasty, my best advice is to remain patient. For example, you are concerned that the nose looks "crooked". Resolution of swelling rarely occurs symmetrically, which can temporarily make the nose look crooked. This swelling will also give the appearance of a "big" nose, which will improve with time.

Still too early after Rhinoplasty

+1

Without a comprehensive examination in-person, one cannot specifically answer your questions.

Rhinoplasty and nasal surgery is the most difficult operation, due to so many variables. Try your best to be patient, as time is your best option.

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. It is normal to feel congested and have nasal obstruction and postnasal drip immediately after rhinoplasty surgery. Patients are generally "restaurant ready" and socially acceptable within 2 weeks. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year or longer after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Rhinoplasty swelling varies greatly and is largely based on the areas of the nose treated, surgical approach to the nose (open or closed/endonasal), skin thickness, postoperative care, and your healing ability. The more extensive the surgery, the more you will swell and the longer the swelling will last. The tip of the nose holds onto swelling longer than the other parts of the nose. Open rhinoplasty, where there is an external incision at the base of the nose, swells more and longer than closed/endonasal rhinoplasty. Patients with thicker skin will also have more swelling.

Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline may help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistant swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose.

Don't hesitate to speak to your plastic surgeon about any swelling.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is too soon to say.

+1

It depends on what was done in surgery and how it was done. Discuss this with your surgeon and be patient since the nose always changes a great deal in the next 6 months.