Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose More Painful and Costly?

My nose is crooked and I wanted to get it fixed. It has never been broken. When I look at pictures from when I was younger, it is perfectly straight, so I'm guessing its just growing this way. I usually see a crooked nose is caused from a deviated septum, which I think I have. I'm imagining a crooked nose is very hard to fix, so would there be a great deal of pain? Would it also be much more expensive?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

No more pain

+1

Hi,

A crooked nose or a twisted nose is often related to a deviated septum. To fix the aesthetic deviation, the septum has to also be fixed at the same time. But that may not be the only reason. Asymmetry in the length of the right and left nasal bones as well as the upper lateral cartilages can also be factors creating a "crooked nose."

Tip asymmetry can also create an illusion of a crooked nose and finally, 85% of patients have noticeable facial asymmetry so if the foundation where the nose sits on is not symmetric, the nose will not be symmetric.

Correction of a crooked nose is challenging but with good diagnosis and technique, very nice results can be achieved and it should not be any more painful than a none deviated nose if both noses needed septoplasty and osteotomies.

Good luck

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty pain is the same whether nose is crooked or not

+2

A crooked nose is corrected through a traditional rhinoplasty technique by performing osteotomies and sometimes placing spreader grafts in the middle third of the nose. Just because the nose is crooked it is not going to make the nose surgery any more painful or expensive than a traditional rhinoplasty. Since the nose is crooked, the nasal bones do have to be reset through osteotomies, but that is no more painful than a traditional rhinoplasty. Typical cost for a rhinoplasty including the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia, and operating room is approximately $6,000.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Crooked Nose

+2

Your right; a crooked nose is one of the more difficult rhinoplasty procedeures we do. Be sure to consult with an experienced surgeon.

There is no additional pain after operating on a crooked nose compared to any septorhinoplasty. Cost is typically not different. In fact, insurance may pay for part of your surgery because there probably is a functional component.

Go for it and enjoy your straight nose.

Rhinoplasty for a Crooked Nose

+1

Hi M,

You are a very pretty girl, even with a slightly asymmetric nose.

Your crooked nose can be straightened. Surprisingly, the great majority of rhinoplasty patients do not complain of pain nor require pain pills after surgery. Your nose should feel stuffy and you may experience some increased pressure similar to sinus congestion type discomfort for a few days after surgery.

The cost of the surgery should be similar to the cost of other types of rhinoplasty.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Linear Nasal Deviation

+1

From the look of the photograph you sent in (next time, crop out the miller lite bottle!), it appears that you have a linear nasal deviation, which is a developmental issue. This typically occurs in patients with facial asymmetry. Correcting the septum is critical to straightening the nose, as is the use of specific grafts to support the nasal tip in a midline position. I call this type of surgery a "foundation rhinoplasty." In fact, I just published a study in the Archives of facial plastic surgery on facial asymmetry and nasal deviation.

I would ask you to look in the mirror and tell me if the right side of your face appears a little smaller than the left. It apears from the photo that this is the case. I would be able to tell you this during an examination but obviously I don't have that option.

Correcting linear deviations can be a little more involved than standard reduction rhinoplasty. Bone work is typically required and is a little more aggressive. This does not result in more pain, but can cause a little more bruising in the early post operative period.

Many surgeons will charge more for deviated nasal correction, since it is more complicated by nature. I charge the same amount for both situations.

Hope this helps you

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should not be painful or more expensive.

+1

Nasal surgery done by an experienced nasal surgery should have no pain or minimal pain and only for a few hours in the first evening. At least 1/2 of our rhinoplasty patients don't take any pain medicine!

Whether the surgeon is doing a septum repair at the same time, the cost is usually the same and insurance will cover the septum part.