Rhinoplasty for a Crooked Nose and Bulbous Tip?

I have a crooked nose-- even more pronounced when i smile. the tip is also very round and kind of "collapses" when i pinch the sides of it. Is this something that can be fixed, and if so, how much would the total cost be? I've attached pictures of how my nose is now, and what I would like it to look more like. Thank you!

Bulbous crooked nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon. As for the cost, it varies depending on what needs to be addressed based on the surgical details agreed upon before your surgery.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose

Rhinoplasty is a great surgical procedure to minimize a bump in the nose, bulbous tip and/or to straighten a crooked nose. The nose is unique in that the tissues do have some memory. Experience matters. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that performs rhinoplasty surgery routinely and look at before and after pictures. Good luck!

Correction of crooked nose, deviated septum, rhinoplasty,septoplasty

By correcting your septal deviation, it will help your breathing but it may not necesarily fix your crooked nose. This can be improved with a rhinoplasty, either open or closed. You may need some grafts placed. I am sure it can be improved but it will probably not be as straight as you want. Watch my videos!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: Fixing the crooked nose and bulbous tip

Your complaints about your nose are very common. Your deviation sounds like it is related to a deviated septum and your tip can be refined as well. It would necessitate an open septo-rhinoplasty and likely require structural cartilage grafting to support your tip. This would likely be considered a cosmetic rhinoplasty and the price will vary depending on where you live. It is an outpatient operation with about a weeks recovery. I would seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for your nose.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Crooked Nose and Bulbous Tip

You can correct all the nasal features you don't like with rhinoplasty surgery. The pictures show that your goals seem realistic. Costs will vary depending on the location and experience of your surgeon.

Can my crooked nose be straigtened by rhinoplasty?

You did not mention if you had any injury to your nose.  This is a different situation where I take into consideration the ability of the procedure tobe covered partially through insurance.  If this is the case many isurances mandate a CT scan for evaluation.  If there is a markedly deviated septum then at least a portion can be covered by insurance.  If not then the procedure will need to be covered by the patient.  Extremly crooked noses are difficult but start with straightening the septum.  I reinforce that with your own cartilage from the septum then proceed to correct the tip and finally the width of the bones.

Cost of rhinoplasty in Los Angeles and tip plasty

Cost varies for complicated rhinoplasty.  As I understand it, the cost of rhinoplasty is more in cities such as Los Angeles when compared to less populated areas.  Rhinoplasty and tip remodeling will improve your AP profile considerably. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for a crooked nose

Rhinoplasty, or nose surgery, is quite common for a crooked nose.  You may have had a nasal fracture leading to the crooked nature of your nose.  It is also important to assess if you have a deviated septum.  Straightening a crooked nose depends on the how much time has elapsed since the nose was broken.  Typically, rhinoplasty to straighten a crooked nose will require osteotomies (controlled fractures) of the nose to put it back into place.  

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of the Crooked Nose and Bulbous Tip with Rhinoplasty.

I have reviewed your pics and comments.   The crooked nose is many times caused by abnormalities of the nasal septum.  Nasal septoplasty will help to realign and straighten the septum.  Nasal collapse is usually a function of weakness in the cartilage framework of the nose.  Correction can be achieved by the addition of cartilage grafts which will help to strengthen your existing framework.  Spreader grafts can correct internal valve collapse, alar batten grafts strengthen the lower lateral cartilage preventing collapse on inspiration, while columellar strut grafts will help to provide tip better tip support and projection.  Lastly, the bulbous tip is due to abnormalities of the tip cartilage.  Conservation reduction of the tip cartilage, combined with tip suture techniques, will help to refine the nasal tip.  Good Luck.....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can rhinoplasty fix a crooked nose and bulbous tip?

Rhinoplasty surgery can certainly improve the features of your nose that concern you. It sounds as though your nasal structural support is less than ideal as well. There are ways to improve the functional aspect of your nose at the same time. There is no reason that your nasal breathing should suffer after surgery.

A complete examination of your nose and how it relates with the rest of your face would allow for a more detailed assessment of what is possible with surgery.

A consultation would also allow for a dialogue about what other changes you're interested in achieving with your nose. I find that computer morphing is an excellent tool for this purpose. One of the important skills of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon is to accurately portray what is technically feasible given a particular patient's anatomy.

It will be important to assess how much of your tip bulbosity is due to skin thickness versus cartilage orientation. Often there can be a combination of both aspects at work.

Given the crookedness it would also be important to fully examine the inside of your nose to look for further structural issues such as a deviated septum.

The question of surgery cost is hard to quote precisely as it depends quite a bit on what needs to be done and how long surgery would take. It is important to consider that surgery costs shouldn't be your only guiding factor. Typically more experienced surgeons who reliably get very good results have higher fees than less experienced surgeons.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD