Rhinoplasty With Implants 5 Years Ago. Why is it Crooked?

I had rhinoplasty with silicone implants about 5 years ago and it's noticeably crooked. Why? Also what can de done to fix it? Do I get it repositioned or get a whole new one placed.

Rhinoplasty and breast augmentation

+2

I assume when you say crooked you are referring to the nose!  Sometimes with time the nasal/septal cartilage may develop a crookedness especially if it was crooked before surgery.  It is best to get evaluated if you are unhappy at this time.

Fixing Crooked Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. Without an exam it is difficult to give an accurate analysis, but it sounds like the nose is deviated. If this is the case, you may need revision rhinoplasty to correct the issue. I would remove the implants and use your own cartilage from your nose or rib to reposition the nose in a perfectly straight position.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

+1

Best to include a picture for evaluation.  I have performed Rhinoplasty and revision Rhinoplasty for 25 years and each case is different.  Without knowing the size of the silastic dorsal implant, how it was trimmed and whether or not it was placed under the nasal bone periosteum and secured at the other end to nasal tissues it's difficult to say whether this implant can be re-used.  I only use silastic dorsal grafts to build up the nasal bridge and in cases such as this, I would have a new implant ready to be placed in the appropriate manner and secured as mention above.  Hope this helps. 

Nasal implant

+1

The silicone implants do not get incorporated and so can shift out of position any time after they are placed, even 5 years later. You can get it repositioned but doing so risks the chance that it will shift out of position again. You could have it replaced with medpor or cartilage to decrease the risk of it shifting again. I am assuming that the implant malposition is the only or main contributor to the nose looking crooked.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD