Negotiating for Rhinoplasty Price Possible?

Is it possible in this economy to negotiate a bit for Rhinoplasty surgery? I have received two quotes from Board Certified Plastic Surgens and they differ by about a thousand dollars. I don't want to offend anyone, but is it okay to ask for some help on the costs? Thanks.

Negotiating fees and prices for cosmetic elective or aesthetic plastic surgery

+3

Comparison shopping for surgery is an impossible feat. It is not as if you are purchasing identical products such as when buying a car from different dealers. The surgeon does make a difference. Generally speaking, reputable surgeons charge fees that they believe are reasonable knowing that patients can and do shop around. Therefore, they realize that they must be competitive and that patients can "walk" if their prices are too high. Therefore, it is unlikely there is a lot of wiggle room. Having said that, I would call the patient coordinator and state that you have another quote. You can ask if they are willing to match it. They will likely ask you for a copy. Several possiblilites do exist:

1. There is no negotiating
  2. They will explain why their fees are higher or ask if comparable services are being offered (anesthesia, facilities, personnel, etc.)
  3. They will negotiate.

Do not be offended if they are not willing to negotiate. However, you must understand that a surgeon must put a value on the service and the experience.

Negotiating for the price of a rhinoplasty.

+3

Sure you can negotiate. It is only your face! Most good surgeons do not negotiate price since they have fixed costs and charge also according to their skill level. I have been doing rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty for more than 30 years and I'm sure that there are surgeons who have practiced for a few years that charge less. Look at the surgeon's work and decide if you wish to gamble.

Negotiating for plastic surgery

+2

Rhinoplasty costs can differ by thousands of dollars even in the same city depending on the surgeon's credentials, experience, and judgement of what needs to be done.  Probably not a good idea to negotiate with the surgeon who will work on your face. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Negotiating fees with cosmetic surgery

+2

If you advise the surgeon of your circumstances during your consultation, you may receive a professional courtesy.  School teachers, soldiers, policemen, nurses give greatly to their communities yet may not have high incomes, and the surgeon may unprompted adjust his fee schedule accordingly.

In this day of recessionary pricing, it is not wise to negotiate too much.  Most surgeons have already adjusted their fees to the recession. 

While inexperienced surgeons may give large discounts, they have not yet calculated the actual costs of staying in business and having enough in reserve to handle the expenses of running a high end business.  We all know such surgeons in our community who seem to work long hours but never get ahead.  Usually their work is not known for excellence.

Poor surgeon-businessmen tend to cut corners just to survive, undercutting fees, etc.  If I were a patient seeking plastic surgery, this is a practice I wouldn't want to find myself in.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Price flexibility for quoted procedures

+2

It is absolutely OK to ask for some price break. Especially if you have two doctors with wildly different prices. What would help is if you show the price quote to the doctor so he sees it is for the same procedure. We do get asked that a lot from patients. The worst that will happen is the doctor will say no. But I don't believe any doctor would get offended just because you asked.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Negotiating Fees for Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

A patient can try to negotiate fees for any surgery but experienced, established surgeons rarely modify their charges. Do not make your decision based soley on price. If you do not achieve a satisfactory result, revision surgery is more expensive.

Negotiating cost of rhinoplasty

+1

Most facial plastic surgeons that specialize in rhinoplasty do not discount their services. Rhinoplasty is still in the top three procedures being performed nationally in plastic surgical procedures and is very popular. It is extremely important to go to a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties since your best shot is to have it done right the first time. Revision rhinoplasty can get quite expensive and difficult if not done properly. Do not cut corners and make sure you have gone to somebody who is very experienced in all the nuances of rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty bargin shopping

+1

Many patients in these tight economic times are shopping for the lowest price, however, all things are not equal. The skill and training of the surgeon with this type of surgery is paramount. The lowest price may be equal to unskilled surgery that requires many revisions. The total cost maybe quite high. More than going to the certified surgeon in the first place. Be a wise consumer do not select by price alone.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Looking better for less

+1

My practice is solely cosmetic surgery and it has suffered like every other business that is based on discretionary income. So, I have reduced my prices dramatically and up to 40% off, yes, 40%-my own economic recovery package. This has my patients extremely satisfied and me happy being able to do what I love best!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon