What Can Be Done to Correct Thick, Wide Nose?

I'm wondering what kind of result I could expect from rhinoplasty when the tip of my nose is very wide and round and I want a more defined, sharper look? In profile, my nose protrudes quite a bit and the tip is very thick; is there anything that can reduce its size and rounded shape?

My skin is quite thick and from what I've read, this can make it difficult to refine. I want to be realistic about my expectations for rhinoplasty, but I also want to know what changes can be made to better suit my face.

Rhinoplasty benefits

+2

I would not describe your nose as "thick and wide" at all.  The upper third looks fine and actually is narrow.  The lower third is a bit full and ill-defined and could benefit from a rhinoplasty with tip refinement and I would expect that you could get a nice change.

Options for nose job

+2

You have a subtle hump and this could possibly be treated without having the cut the bone. In regards to the tip, it is rounded and the the shape is not completey defined. Treating the lower lateral cartliages wlth cartilage resection, cartilage re-shaping sutures, and possible cartilage grafts may be required for an optiimal results.

Rhinoplasty for a thick, wide nose

+1

I've seen noses with skin much thicker than yours; therefore, I feel it is reasonable to expect a more defined nose after surgery. You feel your nose "protrudes" too much. Decreasing projection should be done conservatively in patients with thicker skin. Expectations can be established in consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Patience is necessary

+1

You are still a good candidate for Rhinoplasty, which should include sculpting and refinement of the tip, and may include maneuvers such as cartilage reshaping an even strengthening along with reducing the bulbousness to achieve a more narrow and harmonious shape. In addition, some deprojection, tip rotation and also narrowing of the base of he nose is advised.

Finally, you should be very patient and willing to wait 1 year or more for postoperative swelling to resolve. Often some dilute steroid injections in the supratip area will help after surgery as well. Consult with an experienced, board certified surgeon, and good luck.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

You're a candidate for tip rhinoplasty

+1

You have several things going for you. Your face is well proportioned and you're pretty. The upper part of your nose is narrow. You sound like an informed consumer with reasonable expectations.

You do have thicker than average tip skin. Although this reduces the degree of 'show through' of the underlying nasal structure, it has at least one good point. It will cover any post surgical irregularities.

There are several techniques to refine a round nasal tip. Each surgeon will have tried and tested ways that work in his/her hands. You might want to explore a tip graft using your own internal septal cartilage. This is a powerful technique and is suited to your type of nose. Good luck.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of thick, wide nose

+1

It is possible to reduce the width of your nose and give it a more defined look. However, it is more difficult to achieve definition with thick skin. A surgeon may perform osteotomies (fracturing the nasal bones to reduce the width of the nose). But if you would like to decrease projection, the nose may naturally appear wider due to it being slightly closer to the face. A surgeon may also perform alar base reduction and increase projection to narrow if necessary. As long as your expectations are realistic, it is possible to make significant improvement. I would really need to perform an examination to give you the best advice. In addition, please feel free to send me any photos you have and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Thick Skin Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

From looking at your pictures , I don't think your skin is particularly thick. Its actually ideal for a good cosmetic result after rhinoplasty. You just need some good tip work and a slight dorsal reduction. Have your nose computer imaged so you can see what you will look like after the surgery.

Dr. S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty help

+1

Your skin appears thick, and this blunts the delicate sculpting that is done with the cartilege and bone. This is not a reason to not have surgery.

I think that the lower two thirds of your nose is wide, and so you will likely need to have your bones narrowed. The tip can be narrowed and refined, and the relationship to the dorsum (bridge).

See a ps, get an evaluation, get facts that pertain to you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Wide thick nasal tip

+1

Improvement of the nasal tip can be accomplished with rhinoplasty. Tip suturing can refine the tip significantly, but the thcik tissues may mask some of the results.

What can be done to correct thick, wide nose?

+1

Hi M,

First of all you should be commended for supplying nice photos for evaluation.

Your nose can be refined with a proper rhinoplasty. Most importantly you need to communicate your desired result with your surgeon at your consultation, and "hear" or "feel" that the surgeon understands and is capable of achieving your goals.

Computer imaging can be done at your consultation to give you realistic expectations (as long as your surgeon is realistic with the technology).

Consult with a few surgeons before choosing your rhinoplasy specialist most carefully.

Good luck, be well, and a happy 2010!

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD