Can Rhinoplasty Be Used to Correct a Nose That is Too Narrow? (photo)

I am interested in rhinoplasty to correct my natural nose that is too thin/narrow. Is there a technique that can be used to make a nose wider to look more natural? Will widining the bridge of my nose make my eyes look too close together? Based on my photos below, what woud your recommendation be to correct my nose?

Widening a narrow nose

+1

Widening a narrow nose can be accomplished through cartilage grafting techniques.  Bilateral spreader grafts can be inserted up into the upper lateral cartilage area to hold open the nasal bones when widening the midthird of the nose is needed.  Cartilage onlay and baton grafts are used to spread the lower lateral cartilages, which widens the tip.  All these procedures can be done through closed rhinoplasty techniques.

Can Rhinoplasty Be Used to Correct a Nose That is Too Narrow?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and honestly, your nose does not appear too thin and does not need to be any wider.  From the front and side, the nasal bridge can be left alone IMHO.  The nasal tip could be refined with a Tip plasty which is less invasive than a full Rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty for narrow nose, boxy tip

+1

the following methods would be of benefit:

1. Rhinoplasty: opened, 
  2. The round, bifid or separated tip can be improved by:
  3. Tip sutures in the dome

the width can be improved by:

1. Spreader grafts
  2. Hump reduction
  3. Rotating the tip

What to do with a narrow nose

+1

I would lower the bridge and use spreader grafts to help widen the nose. Spreader grafts are match-like strips of cartilage (usually the septum is used) and placed on either side of the top edge of the septum once the bridge is lowered. Lowering the bridge might make your eyes look a little further apart. It would be subtle though. Refinement of your nose will complete the job. Good luck. You should get a great result.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Surgery for Thin Nose

+1

Very minimal reduction of the projection of the nasal bridge, placement of spreader grafts, and a tip-plasty to narrow and refine your tip with provide an excellent result, improving nasal proportions and facial balance. Select an experienced surgeon whose results you like.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photos show a narrow bridge with vertical sidewalls, a rounded tip, a very small hump on top of the bridge and a pinched appearance just above the alar (tip) grooves on the sides.

If you lower the bridge a very small amount, remover the upper edge of the tip cartilages, place shaping sutures to rotate the tip cartilages away from the midline and possibly place spreader grafts I think you will widen the lower third of the nose. That would make the outline of the nose follow the downward curve from the eyebrows more closely and remove the vertical outline that makes the nose currently look so narrow.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Making a Nose Wider

+1

Hi,

In your case the use of spreader grafts and dorsal onlay grafts with either fascia or gortex may be the answer. It seems like your mid-dorsal nose is narrow and can use some width.

DrS

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Widening a narrow nose

+1

Dear Yogini,

From a techincal standpoint, you have a very nice nose that would be a pleaseure to work on.  You have strong appearing cartilage with thin skin.  This means that you have good "buliding material" for alteration, and that the results will nicely show thru the skin.  Specifically regarding your question:  There are many techiniques for wideing the nose.  Simple manouvers include lowering a dorsal hump (the bridge gets wider as it approaches the face), outfractureing the bones, or adding spreader grafts to widen the middle vault.  I would recommend that you visit with a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty (find a member of The Rhinoplasty Society).  Discuss your goals, and then spend some time looking over morphed imaging to see the changes that they would suggest and feel are reasonable.  If you are both in agreement, then you should be happy with a rhinoplasty.  If the imaging is not to your taste, then you can feel comfortable with not proceeding!

Best regards,

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty will succeed by narrowing yoiur tip; perhaps fillers would work to widen the upper half

+1

Hello;

Actually, it's impossible to make a definitive recommendations for your situation, but your tip is considerably wider than the middle and upper third of the nose.

While the tip can be narrowed (which is a standard procedure) it may well be that the upper portion of your nose is still too wide for you.

Because you do not have an abnormally high bridge, the only real issue is widening.

Consider this: computer imaging can bring a meeting of the minds with your surgeon about what outcome would be satisfactory to you. But your plastic surgeon must be comfortable that he or she can delivery the outcome you want.

Fillers are a very handy in a situation such as yours because, technically, it is difficult to widen a narrow nose.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Facial Plastic Surgeon

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD