Would Rhinoplasty Correct This Issue? (photo)

My nose takes over my face, specifically when I smile. It has this very pronounced triangular shape when I smile, this webbing of sorts on the sides. I've looked at a million and one rhinoplasty photos and can't find one instance where the patient has my precise issue, so I'm wondering if it's correctable with rhinoplasty. I don't necessarily have interest in making it thinner/narrower at the nostrils. It's the shape that bothers me and how the prominence of the upper part overwhelms my face.

African American rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal surgery is performed at rest, not upon animation. Even though the bridge and tip of the nose are narrowed, they will still widen upon animation. Thick skin will also be a limitation as to how much narrowing can be accomplished.  Please see the link below for  examples of how we have addressed wide noses in our practice

Rhinoplasty for thickened/wide nose

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

Yours is not a unique problem. A rhinoplasty can improve the widened appearance of the upper half of your nose. Make certain the PS you choose is indeed a Board Certified Plastic surgeon with experience in dealing with ethnic patients.

Hope this helps.

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Reduction rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty can address the upper,middle, or lower thirds of the nose.  For some people the issue is the upper third and a rhinoplasty would likely address yuor concerns once a full assessment could be made. Yes you are a candidate for rhinoplasty

Jeremy Hunt  

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty questions

+1

From the limited photographs that you posted it appears that you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  Computer imaging would be a useful educational tool to understand your goals and expectations.  

Of course has correction but after you would need topical treatment/ claro que se corrije

+1

of course  might be  wrightly corrected  but your will need  no less than 1 month more of topical ultrasound ands ionotphoresis  treatment in order to reduce  sweeling than in your kind of skin surelly will get.

claro que puede  corregirse  pero  requeririas no menos de un mes posterior de tratamiento  topico  con ultrasonido y iontoforesis para evitar la inflamacion en tu tipo de piel

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

+1

You quite correctly realize that every nose, like every face, is different (except perhaps identical twins), and, every individual is unique in their desired result.  So, because of this variation, each person is best evaluated and considered anew.  Yes, although you see nobody with the precise combination of size, shape, bulk, angularity, position, and skin thickness that you own, the principles of rhinoplasty, and the practice, can be applied to diminish size and adjust relationships of your nose so you will be happier about owning it, and daily seeing it occupy a central position on your face.

Steve Laverson, MD

Rhinoplasty of the wide nose

+1
What you see is fairly common in ethnic patients and surgeons who are experienced in correcting these types of nose will be able to achieve dramatic results. Best to look at before and after pictures of ethnic rhinoplasty patients.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would rhinoplasty help

+1

wide dorsum, flat dorsum, wide base, thick skin, slight underprojection of tip, slight dorsal convexity.  these are all things that can be addressed with rhinoplasty

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Would Rhinoplasty Correct This Issue?

+1

The dorsum can be narrowed as well as the tip.  Although you do not have make the nose thinner at the nostrils, this usually complements the narrowing done elsewhere.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Wide Flat Nose with Thick Skin

+1

While you may not have seen a nose exactly like yours There are many people with a wide flat nose and thick nasal skin. The nose can be improved by narrowing the underlying cartilage and bone, decreasing the width of the nasal base, as well as increasing the nasal projection. See an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.