How to Correct Hump/wide Bridge Without Making Close-set Eyes Look Worse?

I’m considering rinoplasty to correct a hump on my nose. I was seen by a doctor and I was considering making the bridge of me nose smaller, is this considered width or the length? Also, I have close set eyes, how can I prevent them or make them appear further apart, should keep the sides of my nose the same and just correct the hump or do both? by both i mean correct the hump and slim out the sides of the nose.

Nasodorsal height

+1

Hi,

In your case your nose has both excess height and width. Reducing the height and width will improve your look, however, in order not to make your eyes look closer together, you naso-dorsal angle (between your eyes) may have to be preserved or augmented.

Dr. S.

Nasal hump reduction and close set eyes

+1

The width of the nose is includes the width of the nasal bones as well as the width of the tip. The length of the nose is measured from the tip to the nasofrontal angle (area where the nose meets the forehead, between the eyes).

When a small hump is removed, the nasal bones do not need to be narrowed. If a large hump is removed, the nasal bones will have to be narrowed somewhat conservatively to prevent the flat top or open roof deformity, regardless of close-set eyes. With a shorter and flatter profile of the nose, the eyes will look less close-set.

Rhinoplasty: Lowering and Narrowing Bridge Should Make Close-Set Eyes Look Better

+1

Hi Jesse,

The bridge of your nose has both width as well as height that is made up of your nasal bones.  The length of your nose is from the top to the tip.  By lowering your bridge and narrowing your nasal bones, your close-set eyes should look better.  It is best to visit and consult with a few expert rhinoplasty surgeons, and then choose the surgeon whom you feel will best help you achieve your goals.  Only after carefully examining your nose are we able to make the proper diagnosis of what is causing your deformity that is bothering you, and then make a surgical plan to correct the anatomy.  Many rhinoplasty surgeons use computer imaging to simulate the results using different techniques.  Most importantly choose your surgeon carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Encino, California

Michael A. Persky, MD

Effect of Nasal Hump Removal on Appearance of Eyes

+1

After nasal hump removal, the nasal bones are narrowed to close the open roof. Both of these changes should improve the appearance of your eyes which have been somewhat overwhelmed by a large nose.

Rhinoplasty is about nasal and facial balance

+1

Often, all aspects of the nose need to be evaluated and treated for a natural result. A high bridge may give the illusion of having close set eyes. Lowering the bridge to reduce a hump can also make the eyes appear more balanced.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Removing the nasal hump or bump and narrowing nasal width in nose job

+1

As discussed by Dr. Aldea, removing the hump or bump will open up the top of the nasal bones. An analogy is removing the longitudinal peak of an A-Frame house., This will open the roof of the nose. The two side walls can be brought in or by a sliding movement (lateral osteotomy) or by tilting them inwards (percutaneous osteotomy). This closes the opeining. The former narrows the sides of the nose decreasing the width and making the eyes appear further apart. The latter will tend to close the opening without narrowing the nose

Intercanthal distance and rhinoplasty

+1

Of course, an exam or at the very least a photo would be helpful. The intercanthal distance should not change with a rhinoplasty, but it can give the allusion of changes to the width of the eyes. It all depends upon whether a dorsal onlay is added or a nose is narrowed.

Nasal hump reduction and intercanthal width

+1

By reducing the nasal hump and simultaneously performing osteotomies to narrow and close the open roof which is formed by the hump reduction should not really change the distance between your eyes. This is especially true if everything is done in proportion. If you have small deep set eyes they may illusionally appear less deep since the nose will appear smaller the eyes will be more visible due to lack of a shadowing effect. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lowering dorsal hump and narrowing boney bridge automatically make the eyes look further apart

+1

If you look at a bird with a big beak, the eyes look close together when actually they are on the side of the birds head. While the eyes never move apart with out some really big surgery the optical illusion is that they seem further apart when the dorsal hump of the nose is lowered and the bridge of the nose is narrowed. So it will give you the result for which you are looking.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Nasal Hump Correction and its Effect on inter-Eye Distance

+1

A picture would have been very helpful.

The way a nasal hump is lowered by by a combination of removing the excess hump (IE roof of the nose) followed by a controlled central movement of the side walls of the nose to both narrow the nose and recreate a new roof.  The side movement of the nose is possible only after careful and controlled fracturing (IE osteotomies) of the side walls of the nose. These osteotomies do NOT involve the inner walls of the orbits much less the eye balls themselves. So - there is NO movement of the eyes anywhere either close together or far apart. The only effect would be less "crowding", if anything, as result of the lowering of the hump.

Dr. P. Aldea