Is Rhinoplasty Completely Reversible?

I had rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago. The doctor raised my bridge with permacol and tip with ear+septal cartilage but I am not happy with the plastic look of my nose and all I want is having my old nose back. I am just wondering if it is possible to reverse the surgery, i.e to remove whatever the doctor put in my nose without getting the nose collased or deformed. If possible, is it a complicated procedure and considered as a revision or is it just simply removing grafts? Can I have this done ASAP? Tha

Rhinoplasty redo

+2

Patience, time, relaxation.  I understand your concern.  There is always post-operative swelling.  Some patients have more than others.  I think it would be fair to believe that you discussed what you wanted with your rhinoplasty surgeon prior to surgery.   After the surgery, a similar conversation probably occurred and what was the result of that conversation?   Did the surgeon perform what he/she said they were going to do?   Were the in-operative tasks accomplished?   

What did your surgeon say about reversing the procedure?   Sure, you can have reoperation at this time but most would recommend that you wait until after the post-operative healing period.   You may like your new nose.  

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Three weeks after Rhinoplasty Surgery is too soon to consider further surgery.

+2

I read your concerns. I'm not familiar with the product "permacol" that was used to raise your bridge. If this is a rubberized silicone product, it might lend itself to early removal.

In your description, your concern is that you don't like the "plastic" appearance of your nose. Using that description, it's not clear what you're dissatisfied with. It sounds like you had a lengthy operation with a foreign-body implant, along with ear and septal cartilage grafting. You're certainly swollen now which may be contributing to the "plastic" appearance of your nose.

Although it takes a full year or longer for all of your nasal swelling to resolve, revision rhinoplasty could be considered 6 months after your operation.

You may want to get a second opinion from another rhinoplasty specialist. Or consider posting photos here on RealSelf for the experts in this community to comment on.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reverse rhinoplasty

+2

You need to slow down here. This was not a haircut and you shouldn't think of it that way by so quickly asking for your old nose back. You are way early in the healing process. You need to let the swelling subside and healing progress for a few months and get used to the new appearance. Don't try to make a decision like this for at least 6-9 months.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is rhinoplasty reversible?

+2

You can usually remove grafts and sutures, but there are some things that may not be easily reversed.  Most of these can be improved though.  You need to wait until the edema and fibrosis has resolved; usually about a year before revision is considered to obtain the best result.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Revision

+2

You need to wait up to a year before most surgeons would consider further surgery. You can probably change the results but, unlikely that any surgeon could exactly recreate you original nose

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Not completely reversable, but a revision rhinoplasty is possible after 1+ year

+2

It is not possible to go completely back to your original nose, but after you are finished healing (at least a year) if you are still unhappy you can consider a revisino rhinoplasty.  However, keep in mind you are only 3 weeks post surgery and need to give time for the swelling to go down and see the final result.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Undoing the results of a rhinoplasty

+1

I would say it is practically impossible to completely reverse the rhinoplasty procedure. It may be possible to get close to your original nose but there are effects of removing grafting material that can result in scar tissue, collapse, etc. That being said, there must have been some things you did not like about your original nose and it may be possible to reach a happy medium with a revision between what you have and what you like about your original nose. It is also best to wait one year before having a revision procedure.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Rhinoplasty completely reversible?

+1

At 3 weeks after your Rhinoplasty, you're panicking over the look that won't be realized for several months.  Even if you could convince a Rhinoplasty surgeon to remove everything, which shouldn't be done for at least 6 months after the first Rhinoplasty, the old nose will never come back.  Cartilage has been removed and the original shape changed.  Better for you to relax and see what your nose looks like at 4-6 months.