Rhinoplasty. How to communicate precisely to my surgeon what is my desired outcome? (photo)

Hi, I'm scheduled for Rhino in early Jan.I've done lots of research and selected a great surgeon.I've had 1 consult with him and I'm going for another one this Mon.My problem is that I don't know how to exactly describe what I want and I don't really know what can be done. My nose has a nice profile (I wouldn't want to change it) but a I have a big bulbous tip which I want reduced.I've attached 3 pics and 2 home mock ups. I'd like the outcome to be natural and not drastically different Thank you

How to communicate my desired outcome to my surgeon?

+1

Good communication with your prospective surgeon is important, and explaining your desires and goals for your surgery is essential prior to your procedure. Computer imaging software is a fantastic communication tool that can be used during a consultation. With this software, the patient's photo can be morphed, giving them an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. Your surgeon can make suggestions, and the image can be critiqued by both the patient and surgeon. This will help ensure you are both on the same page leading up to surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and profile improvement

+1

The bulbous tip is best addressed with suture techniques of the lower lateral cartilages along with the conservative cartilage removal. Any dorsal hump can be  shaved down to improve the  nasal profile.  Reviewing computer imaging pictures with your surgeon would help delineate the specifics you are trying to accomplish with the rhinoplasty procedure. Virtual rhinoplasty imaging and our rhinoplasty photo Gallery are located on the link below

Communicating your desires for a rhinoplasty

+1

You should have digital imaging performed and spend as much time as necessary to communicate with the imaging as to what you want. Have the surgeon show similar cases to yoursor show him noses you like. This is reality testing-don't go ahead if your not sure of yyour final look.

Darryl J. Hodgkinson, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Matching expectations

+1

Great question.

Yours looks to be a high-risk rhinoplasty.  What I mean by that is that you seem to have quite a nice nose from what I can see, so any changes need to improve on this.

By communicating "exactly what you want" I assume you have an idea in your head of exactly what you want.  The only way I know how to do this is with pictures and computer modelling.

However you must remember this is just a computer simulation.  It may not be achievable.  Then again it may be.  There are various factors which are surgeon related and others which are patient related that determine the final outcome.

I think the most important thing is that you communicate to your surgeon your exact feelings as you have done on this forum, as you must both be comfortable before surgery.  This is part of the process of matching expectations, which must be realistic on your part, and achievable on the surgeon's part.

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty. How to communicate precisely to my surgeon what is my desired outcome?

+1

The profile can remain unchanged while the tip is refined to produce a natural result with a closed rhinoplasty in the right hands. 

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.