I Had Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant Last Week. Can I Travel on a 9 Hour Flight Next Week?

It will be 2 weeks and 4 days after my surgery. I will be on a 9 hour flight. Is it Ok? I also want to know when can I lay under the sun after rhinoplasty and chin implant and when can I wash my whole face with soap and water and put lotion on it?

Flying After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi AnnaSR-

Assuming your healing process has been uneventful to date, there should be no problem with a long flight. You might want to avoid heavy lifting. My best advice is to check with your surgeon who knows your situation.

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun and travel after rhino

+1
I allow out of town patients to travel back home a week after surgery.
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Travel and Rhinoplasty

+1

I would have no problem with my patient traveling 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty. You may notice a slight increase in swelling from cabin pressure changes but this should not affect your end result. Be sure not to over exert yourself with your luggage etc. I would not recommend that you lay in the sun this soon however. I would suggest a good sunscreen and a hat as well. You are ok in my opinion to wash your face and chin with soap and lotion is ok so long as you do not put any directly on your incisions. Always be sure to discuss travel plans with your sugeon. Have fun.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon