Do I Need Rhinoplasty or Chin Augmentation? (photo)

Okay I know that my face could use it, but I'm not sure if it's something that's REALLY necessary. I would just like to know, from your point of view, if you were me, would spend the money to go get surgery? ...or are my nose and chin not really affecting the way I look too much. I appreciate your time!

Is a rhinoplasty REALLY NECESSARY?

+2

Let's not forget, cosmetic surgery is elective surgery, it is not done to treat a disease. Our best surgical candidates for surgery can pinpoint exactly what bothers them. They pursue surgery to address these specific problems. Surgery will not change their lives, but may improve their self-image and self-esteem.

You are a handsome young man. What about your nose bothers you? Your chin is a little small, but not excessively so. I think computer imaging is an excellent idea for you. You can sit with a surgeon and discuss what you dislike about your nose and chin and the surgeon can show you what can be done surgically. If you like what you see, you can consider surgery. But you don't NEED to have anything done, unless it REALLY bothers you.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a personal choice.

+2

When deciding whether to undergo facial reshaping surgery procedures such as rhinoplasty or chin augmentation, ultimately the choice is the patient's.  Surgeons can provide guidance regarding what the norms of facial shape and measurements are and what is considered an aesthetic ideal but you will need to decide for yourself if the changes are in fact something you desire.  Computer simulation will be very valuable in your decision process.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.  

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant or Rhinoplasty or Both or Neither?

+1

The photos show an over-projected and over-rotated tip.  However, making changes to your appearance is completely elective and has absolutely no bearing on necessity.  This is a decision you need to weigh carefully and if your aren't convinced, don't do it!

From a Surgeon's perspective, the tip would benefit from de-projection, with a concomitant caudal septal extension graft to effectively rotate the tip downward.  This is no cookie cutter Rhinoplasty, so please see an experienced Surgeon.  A chin implant will improve the balance between your nose and mentum.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Nose or the Chin to Improve Facial Harmony

+1

The nose and the chin should always be evaluated in conjunction with one another to detemine facial harmony.  In your particular case, your tip could be deprojected to help improve balance.

Rhinoplasty or chin augmentation

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure will reduce overall projection of the nose making the nose look less prominent and would also create more facial balance than a chin implant. The rhinoplasty would involve reducing the nasal hump, narrowing the tip and bridge to make the nose fit and balance with the other preexisting facial features.  Chin implant would give a minor amount of balance to the face.

Cosmetic surgery is cosmetic surgery

+1

By definition cosmetic surgery in not needed for you to live or breathe.  If your nose is performing those functions there is no reason to have cosmetic surgery.  People seek cosmetic surgery because they seek an external change which will then make them feel better about themselves. This is the only reason to seek out this type of surgery.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need Rhinoplasty or Chin Augmentation?

+1

You need to eat, sleep and breathe, a rhinoplasty is elective and cosmetic. If you don' like the way your nose looks, speak to a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your likes and dislikes and get their opinion.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

+1

Aestheically, the answer is both could be performed.  The chin is weak and should meet an imaginary vertical line drawn down forom the lower lip, in men.  Yours is significantly behind that line from the photos provided.  A Chin Implant would augment the chin, reduce the overall size of the nose and balance the entire lower face.

The nose is a bit over-rotated for a man at ~ 115 degrees and the tip is a bit wide.  A Closed Tip Plasty, not a full Rhinoplasty would thin and refine the tip and can be combined with a Columellar tuck to make the tip appear less roated (nose appears short).  Hope this helps.

Chin Augmentation To Improve Facial Profile

+1

I don't see much value to a rhinoplasty based on these pictures so the question is whether chin augmentation would be beneficial for you. That would be best answered by some computer imaging to show you the effects of that change on your facial profile. Your chin is horizontally short so this is a potential procedure you should be investigating.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

No Rhinoplasty needed

+1

You are looking good. You do not need a rhinoplasty or chin augmentation. Just use sunscreen and skin care products every day.

Rhinoplasty is only needed when you really really want it. If it is a minor deformity that does not bother you then you don't need a rhinoplasty.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon