Rhinoplasty with Cheek Implants?

Hi, I am considering cheek implants and revision rhinoplasty using general anesthesia. What should I expect post op? Is there a lot of pain and discomfort? Will I be sleeping most of the time and for how long after? when Will I be able to do some basic tasks and care for my child? Web can I drive? Thanks! Tanya

Pain after Rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty is a quite varied procedure.  This can range from a mild smoothing of a nose bump to more extensive reconstruction of both the internal and external nasal structure.  The degree of pain and recovery depends on the extent of the procedure.  In general if osteotomies, or breaking the nasal bones, occurs then more discomfort is involved.  Depending on the extent of your surgery it is best to limit any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least a week.  If you have a young child I would recommend having a family member or friend available to help out during the first week following your surgery.

Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining cheek implants and revision rhinoplasty.

+1

There is no issue that would preclude combining cheek implants with revision rhinoplasty.  The postop course will include some increased cheek swelling and bruising relative to rhinoplasty alone but will not be markedly different. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants with rhinoplasty

+1

It is an acceptable practice to place cheek implants with a rhinoplasty procedure under the same anesthetic.  The surgery is an outpatient procedure and should take approximately 2 hours with general anesthesia.  Most patients are up and awake within an hour after the procedure and are able to go home. Patients are able to drive the next day.  Expect 2 weeks of bruising and swelling in the face and nose afterwards.

Recovering from surgery

+1

You will have some minor post-operative discomfort following surgery, and it is easily controlled with pain medication prescribed to you by your surgeon. Rest is important during the first week. You will want to take it easy, especially during the first few days. During the second week, you will gradually increase activity. Not following recovery guidelines can increase your swelling and potentially delay your healing time. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as they will have specific guidelines for you to follow based on what is performed during surgery. I hope this helps, and good luck with your procedures! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty and cheek implants

+1

You should expect some discomfort from both procedures, and some bruising and swelling. Good luck with your procedures!

Post op questions.

+1

These post op questions should be answered by your surgeon when you see him for a consultation. Each surgeon is different.