Will my Rhinoplasty Change the Shape and Proportion of my Lips?

I have a long bone at the base of my septum it lifts the skin of the upper lip up. However my lips when closed look in proportion and very nice. My doctor said he will remove that extra bone at the bottom which means the skin above the upper lip will be pushed back ? ...will this affect the shape and proportion of my lips or no ? The doc said it won't buy I'm still concerned ... Thanks for your kind answers in advance ....

Rhinoplasty will not change lip shape or size

+1

If you have a hanging columella this should be addressed by removing both cartilaginous columellar septum and any bony nasal spine that is present, which is pushing your columella downward. Once this is removed, the columella tucks inward and upward giving the elusion of a longer upper lip. It will not affect functionality, shape or proportion of the lips.  

The appearance of your upper lip may be changed after Rhinoplasty Surgery if your septum is too long.

+1

I read your concern. Without seeing your photo, I'm not exactly certain what you've been advised. If you have a "tension lip" from a long septum or prominent nasal spine, this may be improved at the time of Rhinoplasty Surgery. This type of improvement is easily replicated with computer imaging, and most patients find this a welcome change in their appearance.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Change of Shape and Proportion of Upper Lip

+1
Removal of fullness at the base of your nose will not change the shape and proportion of the upper lip. The upper lip may be slightly longer, but this will not adversely effect your appearance. Trust your surgeon.

Tension nose

+1

It sound like you have a tension nose. When the nasal dorsum, anterior nasal spine or caudal septum are treated, this will release the tension on the tip   and will relax the lip a bit.

Rhinoplasty Surgery Effect on the Upper Lip

+1

Hi bongars,

Rhinoplasty surgery can potentially affect the white, skin portion of the upper lip. The shape & position could be adjusted as a secondary result of the surgery. Routine rhinoplasty most commonly, however, does not change the lip. Many patients who have a deviated septum which affects the external appearance of the nose by making appear asymmetric or crooked also have a slanted or tilted upper lip. Correcting the deviated septum to straighten nose may also straighten the upper lip. In addition, patients who have too much septum that pushes the tip away from the face will also have the upper lip pushed out too. Rhinoplasty to bring the nasal tip closer to the face may also push upper lip closer too.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine how, if any, changes may occur with the upper lip with your nasal surgery. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Change the Shape and Proportion of my Lips

+1

Most likely the only changes will be very minor if any.  If there is a reason to have a change than your should discuss with the operating surgeon, because it will add time to the procedure. Good Luck. 

Lip size and shape the same after rhinoplasty.

+1

The lips will have the same shape and size, but will be slightly longer unless the surgeon fixes the lip to keep it from dropping. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best result.

Will Removal of Nasal-Septal Spine During Rhinoplasty Affect the Proportion and Shape of Lips?

+1

Hi Bongars,

Your rhinoplasty surgeon knows best how the technique in his hands will affect your lips.  In general, removing the nasal-septal spine should not change the shape of your lips.  It may release some of the tension of your upper lip and give you a slightly longer upper lip.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Lip size will not change with rhinoplasty

+1

Your lip size will not change with nasal shaping, though the tension on the lip and nose caused by the 'extra bone' at the bottom of your nose will be relieved. The result is a lip that does not pull up under the nose when you smile, and an upper lip that has a better proportion and transition. When the nasal spine is firm and prominent the upper lip can appear shortened and run into the base of the nose. When the bone is trimmed the angle between the lip and nose will be deepened and will give better balance.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

I agree that it sounds like you have what is referred to as a "tension nose".  This is caused by overprojection of the septum out from the face, pushing the nose and the lip just under the nostrils out as well.  The anterior nasal spine is the front part of the maxilla that the septum rests on.  In my experience, the anterior nasal spine itself is not usually the problem.  The tip cartilages need to be separated from the septum and pushed back, taking the tension off of the upper lip.  This produces a more acute angle between the nose and the upper lip, which is usually aesthetically favorable.   It is difficult to know if this is really the issue for you without looking at a picture, however. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon