Rhinoplasty: Bump Removal Without Tip Work? (photo)

I badly injured the bridge area of my nose when I was young, which resulted in a small dorsal hump and a deviated septum. I am now 20 and looking to get my hump removed/bride narrowed, but I like the way my tip looks and would rather not have it touched. Though, I am not a rhinoplasty surgeon so I cannot say for sure what would look best. Could my hump be removed without tip work, and if not, what kind of tip work would be done?

Rhinoplasty to remove dorsal hump and narrow nasal bridge

+1
Removal of dorsal hump and narrowing of your nasal bridge can be easily accomplished. After improvement of these two structures, the tip may need some refining to match the rest of your nose. Its a matter of personal preference. Your preference.

Ask to see plenty of before and after photos.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty: Bump Removal Without Tip Work?

+1
NO! The nose has different aesthetic units that need to work and appear in harmony. So if we only remove the hump the tip would look out of place. Conservaive rhinoplasty is really what you desire.. 

"Hump" removal only?

+1
Thank you for your question. The short answer is yes. You have a well proportioned tip that would not require any adjusting. I would expect you to have a pleasing result if you chose a board certified plastic surgeon who has a special expertise in rhinoplasty. Not all board certified plastic surgeons do rhinoplasties. Find an experienced surgeon who does "hundreds" of these and ask to see a sampling of before/after pictures 

William McClure, MD

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal

+1
It is certainly acceptable in some patients to undergo a rhinoplasty to the nasal dorsum without adjusting the tip cartilages. If the pre-existing nasal tip cartilages are adequate, there is no sense in performing any surgery on them.  Removing the dorsal hump involves shaving down bone and cartilage along the bridge line. Osteotomies when be required to narrow the nasal bones.

Rhinoplasty: Bump removal without tip work?

+1
It is possible to reduce the appearance of a nasal hump without making changes to the tip. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you, which will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Hump removal without tip rhinoplasty

+1
While you would need to have a consultation with an experienced Plastic Surgeon for confirmation, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a closed rhinoplasty.  This would allow for hump reduction and nasal bridge narrowing without changes to your tip.  It would also avoid the scar across the columella.  Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

+1
The hump can be removed without tip work through a closed rhinoplasty.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Hump Removal in Rhinoplasty

+1
The dorsal hump can absolutely be removed without aesthetically changing the nasal tip.  I would suggest having a consultation, to evaluate the functional and cosmetic issues relating to your nose. Good Luck.

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump Removal Without Tip Work?

+1
It is possible to improve the profile and diminish the bridge without changing the tip. If the tip is in good position  has a reasonable shape, and you are happy with its appearance, then there is no reason to change it.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hump removal without tip work

+1
Actually you can have the hump reduced and keep the tip just as it is. You can even benefit from a closed rhinoplasty and avoid the columellar scar. The bonus is less tip stiffness and faster healing.