Rhinoplasty - Is bump on bridge and lump under eye swelling or permanent?

I had a rhino/septo done 3 weeks ago. My main concern was a huge bump on the right side of the bridge. After surgery I wore cast for 10 days, and 7 MicroPore-strips for 7. When cast removal of was crying happy tears. Bump was gone, bridge was smooth. However 2 days later I started feeling a hard lump under my right eye and the bump was coming back. Both hard and on the side where the bones where broken. I'm worried this is permanent although my surgeon says its probably edema. Is edema hard?

Rhinoplasty - is bump on bridge and lump under eye swelling or permanent?

+1

3 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and there will be swelling present that can affect your result. Swelling may give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take up to 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. Swelling may be influenced by the following: Whether the procedure was a revision, whether tip work was performed, whether the procedure was open or closed, and the thickness of the patient's skin. Your nose will continue to change over time. Photos and/or an exam would be necessary to give you the best advice. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure and will be able to provide you with suggestions. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Rhinoplasty Bump

+1

Dear Mary1045: Without photos it is impossible to answer, but here goes. It could be swelling(edema), but you need to follow up with your surgeon and allow them to exam you to be sure. Hope this helps and good luck!

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD
Metairie Plastic Surgeon

Bump 10 days after rhinoplasty

+1

It's difficult to tell without seeing photos. It could very well be swelling (edema), but I would follow up with your surgeon to know for sure. Good luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Post-rhinoplasty hump reduction swelling

+1

The short answer to your question is that it sound normal at this time. However, I would follow-up with your surgeon to make sure there is no build-up of scar tissue. Even if some scar tissue builds up your surgeon can help you to improve that as well.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon