Rhinoplasty on Bulbous Nose, Can I Achieve Desired Results?

I'm a male with a very bulbous nose especially at the tip and therefore interested in getting rhinoplasty to reduce its bulbous look. I want to enhance my front and side profile by maybe raising the tip. I have some pics of me as well as a female model who has had some surgery done. I know she is female but thats the best pic i could find of an african american nose job. Even though my nose is slightly different from hers is it possible to get that look on my nose?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Rhinoplasty on Bulbous Tip - African American Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

The short answer is yes you can reduce a bulbous tip. African American noses typically have excess fibrofatty tissue in the tip and thick skin with poorly defined tip cartilages making for a bulbous tip. To refine the tip, the fibrofatty tissue must be removed and cartilage grafts placed in the tip to restructure the tip. I have a whole website dedicated to African American Rhinoplasty where you can see many before and after pictures. There is also a special section on refining bulbous tips with pictures. Hope this will help you.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Nasal tip reduction

+2

Nasal tip reduction is done often.  The limitation, to see the result is the thickness or camouflage of the covering skin.  The debulking of the skin is usually needed too.  Seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon the has a lot of experience with this procedure.

Nasal tip

+2

Dear babybush101 - thanks for your note - I would agree with most that the definition achieved in your tip will be a combination of skin thinning and cartilage restructuring.  I would not suggest rotating the tip of the nose more but simply increasing definition as described above. A natural look is vital to a nice nose - be conservative. PK

Hamptons Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maybe not a smaller nose if the skin will not permit, but better shape

+2

Your skin is thick, like that of many men, and your tip is round. 

The shape of a good looking nose comes from the cartilage, not the skin.  Therefore, if your tip is reduced, the shape will get worse.

Instead, if a surgeon reshapes and augments your tip, you will have more shape and refinement.  I would also add a sliver of cartilage on your bridge, which will keep it straight but, by making it slightly higher,  reduce the apparent size of your lower nose.

Closed rhinoplasty is better for you because open scars are not good in thicker skin.

Good luck.

Nashua Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty

+2

It depends a lot on your skin thickness.  Also, have you ever had any previous nasal surgery; if so there may be a fibrous tissue component.  It is important in a male patient not to over rotate the tip upward.  Your tip is already elevated.   Make sure you find a surgeon who has had experience in African American noses before you commit.  Best of luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Bulbous tip can me made smaller with Rhinoplasty

+2

Your tip can be made smaller with a Rhinoplasty but your nasal tip is already rotated at amost 115 degrees, which is the aesthetic maximum for short females.  IMHO, it would not look more attractive if the tip was further roatetd (nose mad shorter).  The female model also has much thinner alae, which you would not be able to have.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com