Rhinoplasty + Breast Aug(tuberous) Together Only Took 2hs Surgery. Should I Be Concerned?

Presently i'm four days post op so have not seen end results. Follow up is in two days to remove nose cast. The surgeon has used high profile, CC, round, silicone implants via an inframammary incision for slightly tuberous breasts. Rhinoplasty; nose has been straightened (due to previous breakage), length taken off and dorsal hump shaved down (keeping the tip). My findings suggest this joint procedure usually takes at least a few hours? My surgeon only took two- should i be concerned?

Should I be concerned about the length of my operation?

+2

Surgeons vary considerably with their speed of operating.  Speed is not a very good determinate of whether or not your surgeon did a good job.  If he rushed and did not pay attention to detail, then it might negatively affect your result.  More likely, I would think, he is just an efficient surgeon who is skilled, has a good plan before he starts, and does not waste time.  This would actually be to your benefit as shorter surgery is arguably safer surgery.  I think it is entirely possible to perform a basic rhinoplasty and breast augmentation in two hours and get great results.  I would not be concerned about it at this point.  If you are happy with the results then the time factor doesn't matter. 

Concerned patient

+1

No. A lot of good surgery can happen in a couple of hours .There is little correlation between results and length of proceedure. I hope your results are pleasing.

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Time and quality

+1

The quality of the results from surgery are not necessarily predicated on the time it takes to do the procedures.  Good luck with your results.

?surgery too quick

+1

There are fast surgeons and there are slow surgeons and there are good surgeons and bad surgeons.  Speed of surgery is not a determinant of quality.  There are benefits to having a shorter anaesthetic, but at the same time, you need to make sure that you pay attention to detail and to not rush the job.  It is swings and roundabouts.

At the end of the day, judge your surgeon on the quality of your result, not the length of time you were in surgery.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

How much time should a rhinoplasty and breast aug take?

+1

The answer of course is as much time as needed to do a good job.  For a rhinoplasty and breast augmentation, this can vary tremendously depending on the surgeon and the degree of deformity being addressed.

There are some very efficient breast surgeons who can do a great breast augmentation in 30 minutes.  Likewise, while an average rhinoplasty may take 2-3 hours, an experienced surgeon fixing relatively minor deformities can finish in much less time than that.   

What if the surgery takes longer than average?  Again, nothing to be too concerned about.   In most cases, it usually just means the surgeon is taking his or her time to do things right.

The important thing to remember in each situation is not how much time the surgery takes, but whether the goals were safely accomplished or not.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and rhinoplasty under two hours

+1

If surgical planning has been made ahead and your surgeon is very efficient with his time it is possible to complete a breast augmentation and follow with a rhinoplasty in a fairly rapid sequence. The typical times are probably about an hour and a half for augmentation, and two hours for rhinoplasty. We like to relax and enjoy the art, and pause to reflect and 'get it right'; it is not a race. You should know shortly if your surgeon has done well and has not missed anything.

peterejohnsonmd