Can I get a Rhinoplasty if I have blocked nose?

I often find it hard to breathe through my nostriles but over the years I've managed to deal with it i.e. breathing through my mouth. However, my nose is large and it's making me insecure so I'm thinking about getting a rhinoplasty in the summer. Can I get a Rhinoplasty when I have trouble breathing through my nose?

+1
Both issues can be addressed at the same time in one surgery.

Los Angeles, California

Rhinoplasty candidate with breathing problems

+1
 The rhinoplasty procedure involves a re-shaping the nose for cosmetic purposes and will not improve breathing capacity out of the nose. If there is a breathing problem noted, a septoplasty may be required to improve air flow dynamics through the nose. It is important to have your nose examined by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon to determine if any functional breathing surgery may need to be performed at the same time as the rhinoplasty procedure. For many examples and more information, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty in Patient with Blocked Nose

+1
For a patient with breathing obstruction a rhinoplasty should be combined with a procedure to improve nasal breathing. It will be a great opportunity to improve both form and function.

Can I get a Rhinoplasty if I have a blocked nose?

+1
You can undergo rhinoplasty if you have nasal obstruction. You might be better served by a "hybrid" septorhinoplasty during which you can have the external changes created in your nose as well as the internal structural changes required to improve your breathing. In many cases, insurance will cover the additional work required to improve your breathing but the cosmetic portion to reshape your nose will still be an out of pocket expense. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon