Would Rhinoplasty Benefit Me? (photo)

I'm not too happy with the lower part of my face. My nose is big for my face and has a bump. I also don't like how my upper lip/cupid's bow is farther out than my bottom lip. My lips and nose also stick out way further than my chin. What would you suggest be done to my face?

Benefits of Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant Augmentation

+2

Hi Jenn,

Yes, rhinoplasty would benefit you given your complaints about your nose and profile.  Your dorsal nasal hump can be reduced, and your entire nose refined to harmonize with the rest of your face.  A small chin implant can be placed at the same time to improve your profile.  Most importantly, choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or What?

+1

Dear Jenn, The most important surgery to give your face overall balance and the best use of your money would be a chin implant.  I prefer the Mittleman chin implant placed through an intraoral (inside the mouth) incision, with a titanium screw to keep the implant from moving.  This will give you a jawline, a better profile from the side, and overall give balance to your face.

The reason your Cupid's bow sticks out farther than your bottom lip is because you have a prominent nasal spine on your maxillary bone.  During your rhinoplasty, your Board Certified plastic surgeon will use a specialized bone biter known as a Rongeur to reduce this bony prominence and allow the upper lip and bottom of your nose to settle back into a more aesthetically pleasing position. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Would I benefit from rhinoplasty?

+1

Based on your photos, there are a few things that can help improve the appearance of your profile (and leave you quite happy as a result). During a rhinoplasty, the nasal hump can be rasped down and the nose may be slightly deprojected. A small chin implant would help your facial features complement each other, and really bring them into harmony. During a consultation, computer imaging software may be used to give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear, and is generally a fantastic communication tool between the patient and surgeon. Once you view your potential result, you will have the chance to critique the image and gain perspective on what is possible during surgery, as your surgeon will strive to meet your needs as best he or she can. I hope this helps answer your questions on how you may improve your profile, and I welcome any additional questions you have regarding surgery. Thank you and good luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Would rhinoplasty benefit me?

+1

The hump, which is composed of both bone and cartilage, will need to be shaved down.  Once that is performed, osteotomies will be required to narrow the nasal bridge line.  During the rhinoplasty, the nose can be totally de-projected.  The upper lip nose junction above the cupid’s bow can be reduced by resecting the nasal spine and caudal septum which will give a more acute rather than an obtuse angle in that area along with a deprojection of the entire tip.

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation

+1

From your limited photographs, it appears you hae a small dorsal hump that needs to be removed.  You would also benefit from a chin implant.  Certainly, better photographs would be more helpful in determining your needs.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

The Nose Knows

+1

Rhinoplasty in California is very similar to rhinoplasty performed along the East Coast of the USA. To be sure, you have an excellent structural nose for cosmetic changes that could be quite stunning!  Look for EXPERIENCE.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would Rhinoplasty Benefit Me?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, the nose has a slight dorsal bump along with some excess Columellar show that coupled with a weak chin makes the nose appear larger than it truly is.  Rhinoplasty to address these issues along with Chin Augmentation using a Chin Implant would seem appropriate.  Hope this helps.

Tension Tip

+1

Your photos did now download well, but it looks like you may have what we call a "tension tip".  The tip of your nose sticks out too far from you face and pulls up the lip.  Yes, this can be changes.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty improves upper lip.

+1

Hi.

1)  You look like a great candidate!  Easy rhinoplasty.  The main problem is that you have a large nasal spine (bone between the base of the nose and the upper lip) which makes your upper lip look like it is hanging from your nose.  Your nasal spine needs to be reduced.

2)  You might also benefit by getting a small chin implant, but hard to tell just from pictures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.  Your chin position can impact the projection of your nasal tip on profile view.  A "weak" chin position and give the appearance of a over projected nasal tip.  For you, I would recommend chin augmentation and rhinoplasty to slightly take down your bridge and tip height.  I would welcome you see firsthand these potential changes with a consultation using computer imaging.

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon