Rhinoplasty Before and After

I've been looking at before and after pictures of nose jobs, and everyone's nose seems so different, I don't know how to tell if I'm looking at something that would work for me. What should I look for in rhinoplasty pictures? Is only the side view important or should I see multiple angles? And are photos a good tool to pick the best rhinoplasty surgeon for me and my nose?

Do rhinoplasty before & after photos say anything about the rhinoplasty surgeon?

+4

Before & after rhinoplasty photos are good way to EXCLUDE a surgeon, but may not help in picking one.  Some things that should warn you off a surgeon:

1. Do the noses look natural or done?  Obviously if a surgeon is showing his results on his website for everyone to see, he must be proud of them.  Use this information to your advantage.  You will get a very good idea of what the surgeon feels looks good by looking at his photos.  If you don't think that his results look good, then he is probably not the one for you. His esthetic should match yours.

2. What about the surgeon that doesn't show any before-and-afters on his website, citing "confidentiality"?  Today, if I have a website, I need photos.  If I don't show them, then I probably haven't gotten permission to show them from my patients, or I haven't been in practice long enough to have any that are any good!  Beware in either case.

3. What views are best?  Everyone loves to see the profile views because they are the most dramatic.  However, they can also hide a lot of problems.  Any surgeon with a good result (and not just a good profile view) will show at LEAST an oblique view and, in really successful cases, a frontal view.  It is these views that are the most representative of a good result.  All-profile websites should not be trusted as "best in class".

Hope that helps.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal surgery is very personal.

+3

Nasal surgery is very personal. It’s important to communicate your goals and desires clearly and effectively with your surgeon. While some surgeons use computer imaging to achieve this goal, and computer imaging is certainly helpful for communication, I believe that viewing a series of before and after photos gives you a more realistic understanding of what can be accomplished and how closely your goals can be met. I find it very valuable to talk around before and after photos of previous patients that I have operated on - to help with effective communication and to be certain that you will achieve the goals that you are hoping to achieve. I use pictures of many previous patients, with noses of different sizes and shapes in my consultations with patients to achieve this end.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Before and After Pictures of Rhinoplasty

+3

Hi Jen;

It is important to look at the before and after picture closely and carefully.  By doing so, you can determine if you like the aesthetic or cosmetic improvement that was achieved by that specific surgeon. You want to make sure that you feel very comfortable with their aesthetic taste.

Rhinoplasty is an art because the best result is one that looks "UN-operated" and "Natural appearing".

Before and after pictures are a good way to exclude a surgeon and a starting point.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty example pictures are not the best way to select your surgeon

+2

I jump on as your seventh physician answer, and would start by agreeing with your prior posts. Pictures are one way to diffeerentiate physicians, but in my opinion, one of the weakest. Docs will share only those best scenarios, or the ones with the biggest impact on overall balance. So it is not as likely that they are results that begin with the same original anatomy that you have.

Imaging, using morphing software, to me is better dialogue when discussing what is possible given your nose. That way you can at least start to get an idea of what the surgeon would like to do for you, what he/she feels is an appropriate endpoint for your concerns and anatomy.

That's only one step. From there, you need to be comfortable with the office, the physician, and the process.

But finally you need to ask around your community. Your primary care doctor, friends, coworkers, or similar disciplines (cosmetic dentists for example) all should give you positive feedback on your potential surgeon.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a good rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Although it is a nice way to get an initial feel for a particular surgeons work, looking at the before and after pictures is only one aspect of finding the right fit and expertise. The next step is to meet with the surgeon, make sure you feel comfortable with their approach and bedside manner. Have the doctor use imaging to discuss possible outcomes. Not all noses will look aesthetically pleasing on all faces. Also sometime it is not the nose that is out of proportion. Maybe a chin implant is in order. What is it about your nose that needs altering? Is it the bridge, the tip or do you need shaving down of a bump?

Once you have met with the doctor ask about referrals or testimonials. Every great surgeon will have patients that are willing to sing their praises. Last but not least, check out the doctors credentials. Are they licensed and do they have the appropriate training for the surgery that they are going to preform? I realize this sounds like a lot of work but when it comes to your face, these extra steps in finding the right surgeon matters.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty photos are only one factor in your decision

+2

Choosing the right surgeon for any procedure is always a difficult task. Fortunately, you are looking for changes to your nose and you can compare the work of one surgeon to another with objective data, their before and after rhinoplasty photos.

If there are few photos and certainly if there are bad photos, I might search for another surgeon. However, most surgeon will post good outcomes, so that only decreases your decision on who is the best surgeon for you by only a little.

I would suggest seeing a few of the rhinoplastic surgeons that you feel have good pre and post operative photos. Your consultation should involve taking photos of you and morphing those photos to determine what changes to your nose will best suit you. This process helps you gain insight into what the vision of the surgeon is and, if their other photos are good, you should feel confident that your rhinoplasty will give you the result that you have both decided upon.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty before and after pictures

+1

What you should be looking for in rhinoplasty before and after pictures is not   noses that look like yours but differences in the pictures that you find attractive and pleasing.  You are looking for a surgeon that addresses each nose as an aesthetic body image change that is unique to that individual.

Tal Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Rhinoplasty photos and choosing your surgeon

+1

I'm sure you have seen some "bad nose jobs" whether in person or on some minor celebrity.  On the other hand some beautiful noses on the patients you've met or seen on some other celebrities might not have been natural, they were created by a talented rhinoplasty surgeon.

Use the same judgment when reviewing a surgeons before and after photos.  Examine the "after" photo on it's own, see if it is a beautiful natural look, then take a look at the"before " photo and you can see what the surgeon was able to accomplish.  A reputable surgeon should have a wealth of photos of all his successful rhinoplasties.  A surgeon's reputation consists of his body of work, and before and after photos are an important part of that.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Before and after photos are very important for picking a surgeon

+1

I think before and after photos of rhinoplasty results are the best way to screen for a surgeon.  If you like what is on the website, you are at least in the right ballpark for finding a surgeon.  If you do not like their before and afters, keep looking!

Jay Calvert, MD

Computer imaging critical for your rhinoplasty consult

+1

Rhinoplasty photos are typically taken front on, at 45 degrees and on profile. Looking at a surgeon's before and after photos can give you a sense for their aesthetic sense.

You are right, everyone's nose is different and changes that have been made for another person may not be for you. I suggest that you have a consultation with a reputable Rhinoplasty surgeon and have computer imaging performed at your consultation. This will allow you to give the surgeon input on how you want your nose to look and will give you a much better sense for what to expect.

The key is selecting a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon who can show that they have much experience with cosmetic rhinoplasty. It should be a major part of their practice.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon