Rhinoplasty Before or After Double Prophylactic Mastectomy w/ Reconstruction?

hi, Several months back, i scheduled for a rhinoplasty for july. I waited for years to finally make the decision and scheduled. Last month I was diagnosed with LCIS (lobular carcinoma in situ) which is high risk condition for breast cancer. I have decided to proceed with a double prophylactic mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. So, I was so looking forward to have my nose done. I am having my breast surgery in late September. Should I cancel the rhinoplasty and reschedule?

Prophylactic Mastectomy and Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry about your new diagnosis. Cosmetic surgery is about enhancing our lives for the better. I generally tell people to hold off if elective plastic surgery will in any way complicate your life. It can wait. Since you have been looking forward to it for such a long time, I can see why the decision is so difficult. In no way should the surgery complicate the mastectomy, but waiting until your are done with your surgery in September may be something to consider. You can't go wrong with the decision you make.  I hope this helps. Take care. 

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Surgery before or after Mastectomy and Reconstruction

+1

There is NO simple answer to your question. A cosmetic rhinoplasty can be done either before or after the mastectomy and reconstruction and arguments for or against can be made. The ONLY opinion which counts is yours. Would you feel better having it before or would you rather wait until the mastectomies and reconstruction are behind you??  Good luck with your decision. Whichever way you choose to go will be the right way.

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN