Asymmetry After Rhinoplasty Permanent or Just from Swelling?

I have now had two Rhinoplasty surgeries and I am concerned about the asymmetry of my nose to one side of my bridge. The side which is 'swollen' feels hard and stiff, whereas the other side feels and looks normal. At 11 weeks, is this likely to be permanent or could it just be swelling? I don't have another appointment with the department for another 2 months, so I could really do with some insight as to what it could be and whether or not I will need another operation, if they will allow me to.

Swelling is common 11 weeks after rhinoplasty.

+2

Dear Lizzi,

I read your question and reviewed your pictures. I'm not sure whether the fullness of your bridge will be permanent. There appears to be some redness and swelling of the area, but your best resource will be your surgeon. Make an appointment to be seen sooner than 2 months. You might get medication for swelling, or just some mental reassurance.

Best regards.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+2

Hello Lizzi,

At almost three months after your revision rhinoplasty you shouldn't have much gross swelling. Having said that, there could still be some bone remodeling going on and the thickness of the skin may take up to a year to settle back down to normal. I can see a bit of a difference on your photos, but I would advise you to stay positive, follow your surgeons instructions and see him/her when you are supposed to. You will be closer to the six month date from your operation and it will be easier to ascertain if this asymmetry is going to stay. Overall, I would say your nose looks nice! Best of luck!

Dr. G.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a very popular and effective procedure to contour the shape, size, and position of your nose. Patients who receive this surgery should anticipate a recovery process that may include bruising and swelling. The majority of your swelling will go away within two weeks after your surgery but some swelling will persist for the next 6 to 8 months. During this process, it is not uncommon that you may have some asymmetry from the swelling. If this is the case, your best bet is to place a cold compresses on to this area and be patient until you healing process has completed. At that time, you can assess your nose and determine if the asymmetry is permanent or significant enough that it may require a revision surgery.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Asymmetry after Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Healing is always prolonged after revision surgery. It has  been only 11 weeks since the operation. You are concerned; therefore schedule a followup appointment now. I encourage patients to call if they feel uncertain; it's OK if we later agree the call was unnecessary.

Recovery From Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Recovery from revision rhinoplasty usually takes longer than the first surgery -- especially for the amount of swelling and the length of time that swelling persists.

Frequently, the tip of the nose after revision rhinoplasty looks large, feels firm, or may look asymmetric. This is because of swelling (edema) that is retained in the skin and also scar tissue that is being deposited between the skin and the nasal framework.

Be patient... the nose will undergo significant changes during the first 12 months (or more) after surgery. The swelling gradually subsides and as this scar tissue matures, it contracts.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon