What Can Be Done About Nostril Asymmetry After Rhinoplasty?

What needs to be done to make my nostrils symmetrical? I had a tip Rhinoplasty done . Now, when looking at me from the front, my right nostril sags lower than the left. When I lift my head back, the right nostril is sunken into my head lower than the left.

Nasal Asymmetries After Rhinoplasty

+3

It sounds to me that you had asymmetries of your nostrils before surgery. If the right nostril was always lower than the left, then it is very difficult (? impossible) to make them absolutely symmetrical. Was this your main concern before your operation? Did you discuss this with your surgeon?

Although things certainly could be improved you need to discuss carefully and honestly the extent of enhancement possible AND the possible shortcomings of revision rhinoplasty.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aymmetric nostrils

+3

Asymmetric nostrils after a rhinoplasty can be due to several things.  If it was done recently, you should wait 6 months or longer until the tissues soften before undergoing a revision.  It almost looks like you had a cleft lip.  Is that a scar from a repair on your upper lip?

Asymmetry is due to many factors

+3

There are a number of things that must be weighed before commenting on asymmetry. First, how long ago was your surgery? Was this present before surgery? Did you discuss this with your surgeon?

Asymmetric swelling can cause distortions of the nose. You need to wait several months to truly call it an asymmetry, then at least one year before attempting revision. Sometimes asymmetries were already there, only you weren't inspecting your nose in a magnifying mirror many times4es a day. Go back and look at the before pictures with the same level of scrutiny as you now do and you may see that this was a pre-existing condition. Asymmetries are sometimes also not noticeable since the major issues treated in rhinoplasty are now treated and other areas may become more obvious.

So, first go to your original surgeon to discuss these issues. Also please be patient if they say to wait a year before revision, this is what may be necessary.

Surgery is the best way to do this.

+2

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist who can evaluate your problem and inform you as to how much symmetry can be achieved. Make sure that are experienced. 

Wait 6 months and then consider a revision.

+2

Hi.

What you are describing does not usually go away, unfortunately. But, whatever is wrong anatomically with your nose, it can usually be made better with an expert revision rhinoplasty.

So in 6 months, you can decide whether it is good enough and you can live with it, or whether you want to put yourself through another operation. It is not a good choice, but that's probably what it will come down to.

Need more details

+2

In order to answer this question, we need more details. When was the surgery, what was done, etc. It would also be best to see before and after pictures. That said, if there is an asymmetry, you may need a touch up operation. However, you should wait for all the swelling to resolve and the tissues to settle before considering revision.