Asymmetrical Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

Hi, I had Rhinoplasty which also included fixing the septum, performed one and a half weeks ago. Three days ago, the splint was taken off, but I can notice now that one nostril is bigger than the other, is this normal? Will it return to normal in time? If so, how long will it take? Thanks for your help, I am very worried.

Asymmetrical Nostrils

You definitely have swelling one and one-half weeks after surgery. It may take at least a year to see the final result. However, do not expect perfect symmetry. No paired structures on our bodies are identical.

Nose is still very swollen

Since it has only been a week-and-a-half since your surgery for a rhinoplasty, it takes much longer to heal. One nostril will always be bigger than the other, even in the preoperative condition. It is accentuated in the postoperative condition since the nose is very swollen. It should return to normal in a couple of months after the surgery, but full healing takes one year.

Uneven Nostrils Post-Rhinoplasty

Considering you are only about 10 days into your recovery process, I would say it is still relatively early to be worrying about the results you are seeing. The asymmetry of your nostrils is likely due to swelling from your nose job, and can in fact solve itself over time. It can take 6 months to a year for the majority of your swelling to go down, and up to an entire year for it to completely subside. My best advice would be to remain patient with your body as it continues to recover, and to try not to worry too much. If, after a year, you are still unhappy with your results, you can consider getting a revision rhinoplasty to further refine your nose.

Sam Rizk, MD

I would wait a minimum of 1 year.

It takes 6-12 months to see the final nose. It is too soon due to the swelling to make any decision about the final outcome. Relax and as you see your doctor for follow up he can advise you.