Asymmetric Nostrils 7 Weeks After Rhinoplasty Normal?

My nose is quite swollen but my biggest concern is that my nostrils look uneven. Is this normal 7 weeks after Rhinoplasty?

7 weeks is still early

+3

It is too early to tell if the asymmetry you have will persist. Swelling take many months to resolve and isn't always symmetric. Sometimes asymmetries were present before surgery. They become more obvious for a number of reasons, you are inspecting your nose more carefully and more often. Also, the other concerns that you might have had, such as bump or large tip, are no longer present so other asymmetries become more obvious. But most importantly, give it more time.

Asymmetry is Normal Early in the Recovery Period

+2

During the first several weeks, following rhinoplasty, the nose undergoes significant changes as the swelling subsides. The swelling gradually dissipates over the first several months and thus the appearance of the nose changes gradually. The swelling can fluctuate on a daily basis,and different areas of the nose may retain swelling longer than others. This often gives the nose an uneven appearance.

Be patient. As the swelling goes down, the appearance should improve. Visit with you surgeon early about your concerns so that any issues can be addressed at the appropriate times.

Web reference: http://rhinoplasty-usa.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chances are will improve by itself; if not, can be corrected without surgery

+2

It will probably improve spontaneously and you have nothing to lose by waiting. If by 3-4 months it is unchanged and the tisses are soft and healed, the nostril whose upper edge is "too high" can be permanently improved using filling injections. Then the nostrils will match

Office procedure. Would take a series, perhaps three to four, minimum six weeks apart. An anesthetic cream is applied prior so it is minimally uncomfortable.

Your situation is not unusual. At this point, be aware that most people would not necessarily notice the difference. Your eyes may focus on it but the world does not see it.

Rhinoplasty - asymmetry

+1

Most people have slightly asymmetric nostrils. You may want to review your pre-op photos with your surgeon to see if you had asymmetry prior to surgery.  You are correct in that you still have swelling.  It takes a few months before you see your final results.  Regardless, if you have any concerns, you should definitely talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon since only they know what they did operatively. I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss with you any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.