What Is The Success Rate for Rhinoplasty and Thick Skin?

I would like to know what the succes rate is for rhinoplasty on thick skin. I was told that the tip of my nose has thick skin and is also drooping, so I should have limited expectation. This got me thinking if I should go through with the procedure or just accept my nose the way it is:(

Thick Nasal Skin and Success Rates Following Rhinoplasty

+2

Kimi, the answer to this really depends on what the underlying framework is in your nose and just how thick your skin really is. You should consult with several rhinoplasty surgeons in your area to get various opinions from experts in the field. Although thick skin does limit the amount of change that can be realized from rhinoplasty, you still might see enough of an improvement where it makes the operation worthwhile for you.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and thick skin

+1

In general, patients with thick skin may not always achieve the level of definition they desire. The swelling can also linger for a longer period of time. It is still possible to make great improvements to your nose. I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist who has a great deal of experience. They may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Thick skin rhinoplasty

+1

Thick skin creates a number of limitations when it comes to rhinoplasty. However, one can still achieve a favorable result in patients with thick skin. Where I practice, many of patients have thick skin. I have found that by maintaining, and even sometimes augmenting, the bony and cartilage framework, the nose can be reshaped to create very nice results. These principles will certainly help correct a drooping tip. You should consult with several surgeons in order to find one who is experienced with rhinoplasty in thick skin patients.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thick skinned nasal tip

+1

It is very difficult to get a great result in reshaping a nasal tip with thick skin. There will be improvement but you cannot expect a very defined nasal tip. However, lifting a droopy tip will make a big change even for a thick skinned tip. Also, if your nostrils are wide, alarplasty will make a big difference.

In essence, the results are not exceptional but there is reasonable enough improvement to justify a rhinoplasty.

Regards

Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and thick skin

+1

Thick skin will certainly be an issue if you are looking for significant tip refinement.  Certainly an improvement can be achieved.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty and thick skin

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure involves sculpting the bone and  cartilage framework of the nose. Thin skin will show every little irregularity, while thick skin will hide the new cartilage framework. Close follow up with  your rhinoplasty surgeon is very important,  because you may be receiving cortisone shots  for the first few months after the procedure. Blenderm tape  can also help in the first 12 months after the procedure  to help keep the fluid retention to a minimum in the supratip area.

Thick skin after a rhinoplasty

+1

A rhinoplasty is one of the more challenging plastic surgical procedures.  We can alter the cartilage and bone of the nose but the soft tissue and skin must re-drape over the altered structures.  The thicker the skin may not change as much.  It is important that during your examination you are given realistic expectations based on your skin type.  

+1

You can definitely get some attractive changes from a well done rhinoplasty, even with thick skin, but you cannot get the same tip definition a thin skinned patient will get, so make sure you have realistic expectations before undergoing the surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Success rate of rhinoplasty with thick skin and drooping tip.

+1

Success rate for this is as good as the surgeon. More experienced surgeons get better results so choose well and u should be happy. 

Thick Skin and Droopy Tip

+1

A droopy tip can be improved, and, if tip thickness is an issue, this can likely be improved as well even with thick skin.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA