I Had a Rhinoplasty and the Results Look Horrible - is There Any Way to Fix This? (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 10 days ago. When the cast came off, I couldn't recognize myself in the mirror. Something was off, but I couldn't point out what. It seemed too wide, too pushed in, and something about the bridge just looked unnatural. I am extremely upset over this and am already considering revision rhinoplasty. I have no idea why the doctor ruined the bridge and made me look like a monkey - I only wanted the tip fixed and the size reduced. Is this fixable?

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I agree, it is way too early to start judging your final results.  Have faith, things will get better.  Call your surgeon if need more reassurance!

Good luck,

Vargas Face and Skin

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too Early To Determine Results Of Rhinoplasty

+1

While it is your nose and great anticipation awaits the removal of the tapes and splint after a rhinoplasty, this is not the time to judge the final outcome of the procedure. It is way too soon to remotely tell the results of the operation. Removing the nasal splint is not a 'TV moment' and what you see is not the final result. It will take many months as the nose swelling goes down and for the final shape becomes apparent. What may look like the need for a revision now, it may turn out just fine in a few months. While it is difficult to have patience, rhinoplasty is truly a process and not an immediate outcome.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

You need to give a time

+1

You have trusted your surgeon and now more than any time you need to listen to him or her. You still have a lot of swelling. You may or may not need revision,but not now...

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with rhinoplasty result at 10 days postoperatively

+1

At 10 days following an open rhinoplasty, you are still far too early yet to be able to determine what your nose will look like long term. Be patient. It can take upwards of 6 months to have a far better idea of the result from your surgery.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Rhinoplasty healing time

+1

You are in the early part of the healing process after rhinoplasty, and this can be the scariest time. Once the cast comes off, it is really hard not to focus on the nose and to try and get an idea of the result. At this point, there is still a lot of swelling, and it swells to different extents in different places. This makes it very hard to see what the final outcome will be. 

Try and hang in there for the next few weeks. As time goes by, you will have a much better idea as to the balance and appearance of the nose. There are certainly options for changes in the future, but try and stay positive for now! 

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhino reults

+1
Stop and take a breath. You are way early here and are going to see a lot of change. Be patient and have faith. Don't think about revision . Try to remember your original motivation and look forward to the changes.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early days after rhinoplasty

+1

For most, the week after rhinoplasty when the splint comes off is an exciting time when you get the first glimpse of the new you. For a few, especially if they have not prepared well, the look early on may feel unsettling. We believe that computer simulation gives the best communication of the goal and anticipated result, and can be reassuring in the early days of significant swelling and bruising. Ten days, of course, if way too early to consider revision, and if your procedure was discussed and planned well with your goals in mind, things should work out.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

Thanks for posting photos.  I wish they were a bit clearer and from multiple angles, however.  Regardless, 10 days after surgery is way too early to get worried.  You really need to give your body time for the swelling to resolve and the tissues to settle.  Hopefully you have follow up scheduled with your surgeon in a month to six week when you can start to discuss the results.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Post op rhinoplasty

+1

You are very early in your post op recovery.  It is important to allow the swelling to subside before you make any decisions on the outcome. Generally revisions are not done for 12 months.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

10 days post-op is too soon to consider Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. Your nose is swollen right now and will significantly change over the next few weeks. You don't look "horrible", just swollen. If you're concerned by the appearance of your nose in a month from now, you may want to repost your photos along with a description of your concerns. You would get the most information from the RealSelf community of experts if you post frontal, oblique, and side views.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon