Rhinoplasty and pain: What Pain Medication can I Expect?

I am having rhinoplasty surgery next month. What kind of pain medication should I expect to get? I have had surgery in the past where some have worked better than others. I am trying to figure out if I need to talk with my doctor prior to the surgery. I have taken percocet 5 and hydrocodone 5 and those have done nothing for my pain. What kind of pain medication do you typically prescribe, what MG, and for how long after surgery?

Pain After Rhinoplasty

+1
Recovery from rhinoplasty surgery is generally easier than recovery from body surgery. Most of my patients require very little pain medication. Consult with your surgeon to see what is best for you.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty pain

+1
The pain from rhinoplasty depends on the extent of surgery necessary.  Fir example there will be more pain if the bones need to be broken.  The pain is usually not as severe as you might fear, and either Percocet or Vicodin should suffice.  You should discuss your past experience with pain medication with your surgeon and ask fir his or hor recommendation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Pain management after rhinoplasty

+1
pain management is typically only a minor issue for the first few nights and sometimes requires Vicodin.  Many patients do quite well on over-the-counter Tylenol.  He definitely want to avoid Motrin or aspirin for pain control or other medications that could thin the blood.  In general most rhinoplasties don't require packing so you want to avoid that if possible.

Chase Lay, MD
double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and pain medication

+1
 It is important to find a rhinoplasty surgeon that does not put packing on the inside of the nose. Packing is quite painful and is no longer used, unless patients have a very severe nosebleed. Most patients are able to take one or 2 Vicodin or Percocet pain pills the first few nights to help  get some sleep for their pain management.

Rhinoplasty and Pain Medication

+1
Thank you fort the question. If you are still experiencing pain even after taking these prescription pain medications, please contact your surgeon. Generally speaking, rhinoplasty is not terribly painful after the first day or two post-op.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon