Rhinoplasty and Nasal Graft Surgery 2 Week Post Op Appointment, Normal Procedure?

The other day I went to my two week post op appointment after my rhinoplasty. The Nurse came in before the doctor and was examining my nose and answered any questions I had for her. When she was examining my nose she pressed really hard the upper center of my nose. I didn't know why she did this and I am worried she may have done damage to my nose. It felt weird a little after, but within seconds it felt fine. Is this a normal thing done at the 2 week mark for some reason? Thanks.

This question best addressed to your surgeon.

+1

I don't know what the nurse did but the surgeon is responsible for any maneuvers she performs on your nose. You should ask him directly why this was done.

Post Op Care 2 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

It seems unusual to put significant pressure on a nose this early in the postoperative period.  I would agree that the nurse may have seen some swelling and wanted to see if the area was soft and fluctuant.  It is unlikely, however, that she did any serious damage.  

Michael Sundine, MD

Pressure on nose two weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Although it is difficult to say what she was trying to do for sure, it is likely that she was trying to feel for any fluid collection, swelling, or perhaps to assess the smoothness of the nasal bones. 

Although the nasal bones are quite fragile in the first few weeks, mild pressure really shouldn't shift anything out of place if it is done within reason. 

I hope you have a great result when your healing is complete.

Dr. Jamil Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Vikings12,

Thank you for your question.  I'm not sure how hard she pushed, but she may have been checking for a fluid collection for some reason.  Express your concerns to your plastic surgeon.  If there is no noticable change to your nose, then likely there was no damage.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps she was examining for fluid collection

+1

Thank you for the question.  Only the nurse and your plastic surgeon would be truly able to answer why she pressed down on your nose.  My suspicion is that she wanted to check for fluid collection or examine the contour in that area.  If your nose looks the same as it did before she pressed down on it then you can feel fairly certain that no damage has been done.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD