I Had Rhinoplasty 6 days ago. Aside from swelling, is it normal to still have my hump present? (photos)

I had a closed rhinoplasty 6 days ago and my splint was removed today. Aside from obvious swelling I still have my hump present. The PA that removed my splint insisted that the hump is all part of the swelling and it will go away but I'm very dubious. She even commented on how my post OP nose doesn't look very different than my pre OP nose. My profile looks exactly the same except the hump is slightly smaller. I'm so upset and disappointed. Looking for some professional opinions please.

Hump still present after rhinoplasty

+1

The final result of a rhinoplasty may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. In general, swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure is a revision, whether tip work was performed, and whether or not the procedure was open or closed. It is a bit early to judge the result of your procedure, as you still have a significant amount of healing to do. The nose will change in appearance as you heal, and improve over time. I would recommend communicating any immediate post-operative concerns to your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Dorsal Hump Concerns after Splint Removal

+1

There are a couple of things to consider here.  If the hump was removed and osteotomies were performed, there will be more swelling than if osteotomies were not performed.  In addition, at a week after rhinoplasty, it is not unreasonable that the swelling can be figuring prominently in your result.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

It is true that skin tends to have some "memory" for a variable time after rhinoplasty.  The skin has to contract around the reduced cartilage and bone framework.  However, from the pictures it certainly does not look very different.  usually you can see some change, even right after the splint has been removed.  Sometimes I will have patients tape their bridge over some non-stick gauze for a while at least at night to compress the skin a bit longer.  Definitely check with your surgeon before you do anything.  Also, give it time.  It's way too early to be disappointed.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon