How Can I Keep Nose Proportionate to my Length of Face During Rhinoplasty?

I am considering rhinoplasty which will decrease my nasal hump, lift my tip, and thin out my nose a little. I have a long oval shaped face and also a slightly longer upper lip. Will rhinoplasty negatively affect the length of my face and make it appear even longer and/or will the length of my upper lip look even longer?

Face and Nose Proportions in Rhinoplasty Procedure

+1

A highly experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will not only recognize the
need to avoid making the nose appear shorter in your case, but also be
able to make the desired aesthetic changes while not having this occur.
Not necessarily an easily accomplishment, especially when a hump is
removed, but it is possible, as you can see on some surgeons' photo
galleries.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a good question.  The most important factor in slecting your Rhinoplasty Surgeon is their ability to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  These aestrhetics would include the proper tip rotation (length) of the nose that is well defined for both men and women.  

Rhinoplasty and facial proportions

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing different views of your nose

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty and facial dimensions

+1

Without seeing your face and examining your nose it is very hard to visualize what can be achieved for you.

Effect of Rhinoplasty on Facial and Lip Length

+1

Trying to determine the effects of a rhinoplasty on your overall facial appearance is best done before surgery by computer imaging. This will provide you a visual answer to your question/concerns. While it may intuitively seem like a shorter and more uplifted nose will make your upper lip longer and maybe even your face longer, this may or may not be so.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

How your new nose will fit your face

+1

There is a simple way to see how the changes you propose will fit on your face, and yours alone. Computer imaging is available to 'try out' changes on your photo to see the balance and proportion of the 'look'. It really works and can help avoid mistakes and misunderstandings.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

How will run a plastic affect the rest of your face?

+1

You've struck on a very important point regarding rhinoplasty surgery. In rhinoplasty surgery we don't just look at the nose but we look at the overall facial proportions.  A beautiful rhinoplasty will not look good if it doesn't balance with the rest of the face.

I would recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and go over your goals.  I find that computer imaging is a good way to make sure you and your plastic surgeon are thinking the same way.

I personally feel that someone with a longer face balances better with a longer or stronger nose.  An upturn or cutesy nose may fit a rounder faced individual. Computer imaging is a teaching tool, and unfortunately it is not a guarantee of your results but it can give you the opportunity to see an express your goals.

Good luck.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and facial proportion.

+1

Keeping facial proportion while having a rhinoplasty  is the job of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Therefore, choose a surgeon whose work reflects this.

Nasal proportions

+1

It's impossible to answer your questions without photos. You should take the time to get some opinions from good rhinoplasty surgeons who will be able to help you. Take your time and do your homework.

Ronald Schuster, MD