Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation - What Do I Need? (Pics Included)

I am a 26 year old male and have always have been self conscious of my nose & chin. Below are some pictures of my nose at different angles and a profile shot. I would like to get a rhinoplasty in the summer of 2014. I am curious as to whether a chin augmentation would help me & what I should ask the doctor to do for my nose. Also, is a chin and rhinoplasty at the same time recommended? I am curious at to all thought and recommended doctors in the VA/MD/WV/PA areas.

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation - What Do I Need

+2

Thanks for your question. Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation are often performed together. The reason for this is that the appearance of the nose can be affected by the degree of chin projection. A chin that is set far back like yours is can make the nose look bigger than it is. Advancing the chin position can therefore have beneficial results in terms of the appearance of the nose. Based on your pictures, you could definitely benefit from advancing your chin to help harmonize your face. Get the expert advice of a Facial Plastic Surgeon since you do have a deep mentolabial sulcus (the crease between your lip and chin) and the crease is difficult to manipulate with an implant. It will move the chin forward but the crease might stay in its current position and appear deeper with the implant which may look undesirable to you.
As far as the nose is concerned, you can benefit from several maneuvers to help achieve a more balanced looking nose. Without pictures that show your entire face, it is hard to give you precise answers but I will do my best. On the frontal view, it looks like you may benefit from refinement of your tip which is wide. On the side view,  you may want to deproject your nose, meaning decrease how far it reaches out from your face. Again, the chin augmentation will decrease the amount of deprojection required. Although you don’t have much of a dorsal hump, once the nose is deprojected, the dorsum of your nose will need to be taken down and subsequently this will require the need to fracture your nasal bones inward and possibly place spreader grafts (little pieces of cartilage placed along the dorsum that sit in a precise location). Also, your nasolabial angle (the angle created between the tip of your nose, the area where the nose meets the face, and the lip) is small. In males, we consider 90 to 105 degrees to be the average. Your angle is below 90 degrees. As a male, you do not want it to be over corrected since that would make your nose less masculine looking. There are different maneuvers that can be performed to help rotate the nose upward slightly. You should know that the taller you are, the less rotation you would want so keep this in mind. A plumping graft may also be placed (small pieces of cartilage placed at the apex of that nasolabial angle) to make the transition between lip and nose smoother. Depending on the structural integrity of the nasal cartilages, other cartilaginous grafts may be necessary to provide support and achieve longevity of results. Also, if breathing is an issue, you may benefit form a septoplasty, turbinate reduction, batten grafts or combination of those.
Seek the expert advice of a Facial Plastic Surgeon. There are many in your area. Check their websites and read reviews on line. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose and chin surgery

+1
Nasal reduction and chin augmention is a very common combination of procedures because of the relatively common facial variation where a person has a larger nose and recessed chin. Some people are fine with this look because it is their heritage, whereas others would prefer to change it. Your pictures unfortunately do not allow for adequate analysis of your face, and I would recommend that you have an in-person consultation, where your goals can be customized and where you can view before/after photos of numerous men who have had the rhino/chin combination (as well as be put in contact with them if you wish to hear firsthand their experience).

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation - What Do I Need?

+1

Reducing the size of your nose along with a chin implant will improve your facial proportions and overall facial balance.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

I have written a book on the aesthetics of beauty that outlines the ideal chin proportion for a male and a female face however, I don't see a profile view in the photos provided.  The nose shows a dorsal hump and a wide nasal tip with thick skin.  Rhinoplasty would address these issues and a Chin Implant could be placed, if appropriate, at the same time.  

Video imaging to way benefits the chin augmentation.

+1

To see how a rhinoplasty and chin augmentation would change your parents video imaging would be quite useful.

rhinoplasty and chin implant for better facial balance

+1

When we see an overly projecting nose and an under projecting chin, we usually recommend the combination of chin implant and rhinoplasty. Both procedures are complimentary to each other for better facial balance. For many examples of this combination please see  the link below.

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

+1

A chin augmentation is commonly done at the same time as a rhinoplasty.  Best to be evaluated in person to determine if you are a candidate.

Nose and chin

+1

No photos to note about chin.  Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation are often done together and enhance each others result.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Harmony between the nose and chin

+1

Rhinoplasty and genioplasty complement one another and are frequently performed together.  Genioplasty can mean an implant or an osteoplasty genioplasty were the bone is cut and the chin bone is moved forward and/or down to make the chin more prominent.  Based on you photographs if I were to see you in my office, i would offer rhinoplasty plus a genioplasty.  I think you would be very happy based on your stated expectations.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD