What Can Be Done for Uneven Alar Base Scar After Rhinoplasty?

I am happy with my Rhinoplasty, except for a wicked jagged scar on one side. The other side is perfect. I had this procedure 4 years ago; the scar isn't going to get any better. It is noticeable to others, and I really want to get rid of it. Can I get it resected? Lasered? Consulted a plastic surgeon a year ago, and he said it would be too complicated, not worth it. I want a second opinion. It seems as though that side can be taken in a little, since it was left wider anyway. But I am no doctor. Can anyone help?

Alar base revisions are difficult

+1

This is a tough problem as you already have a narrower alar base on the side you have the uneven scar. I would not revise it but merely do a dermabrasion or laserbrasion to soften the scar and blend it into the rest of your alar base. This is not an uncommon problem with alar base resections.

Alar scar

+1

Revising the scar may be possible, but it may also leave you with a similar scar. Tough choice, because it also could change the asymmetry to make it worse.

Nostril scar following rhinoplasty

+1

It is my opinion that performing a scar revision will result in an excessively small nostril on that side. Furthermore, there are other asymmetries to the nares that are difficult to correct without an extensive procedure.