Do I Really Need a Rhinoplasty or Alar Base Reduction?/ Nostril Narrowing? - Looking for Toronto Area (photo)

When I smile my nostrils go flat & wide so that bothers me a bit especially in close up pictures, but I am not sure if I should get one.What do you think? Is there are cost difference between both in Toronto? I also have a Chronic kidney disease (IGN)and prone to infections and should not take too many medicines (its in early stage though).Please be honest! I don't want to end up look like MJ or fake, need a very natural procedure if possible.Alar base nostrils collapse happens as well i heard?

Video imaging useful in establishing rhinoplasty expectations.

+1

First of all, if you have any doubts about an elective cosmetic operation don't do it. The aesthetic expectation of Alar base reduction can be demonstrated by video imaging. I don't think you kidney disease will be a contraindication to a nasal procedure.

Do I Really Need a Rhinoplasty or Alar Base Reduction?/ Nostril Narrowing? - Looking for Toronto Area

+1

Alar base reduction is not unreasonable and can be performed under local anesthesia.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Alar base reduction

+1

If you are unhappy with the appearane of the alar base, a reduction can certainly pbe performed and even under local.

Alar base reduction

+1

An alar base reduction can be performed under local anesthesia, not general. Small wedges of skin are taken out from  the base of the nostril which narrows the nostrils. A full rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia. It is best to get cleared by your nephrologist prior to undergoing elective cosmetic surgery.

Do I need an alar base reduction?

+1

Hello justcurious,

If the size and shape of your nostrils and alar base are bothersome and you really want to correct this, then you do need to have an alar base reduction. If this is the only thing that needs to be done it can easily be done under local anaesthesia and no medications are needed other than some pain killers. When this procedure is properly and judiciously done there should be no danger of any collapse and the results can be natural and pleasing. Hope this helps.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon