Rhinoplasty After Turbinate Cauterization?

Im going to have turbinate cauterization (just soft tissue) done soon and was wondering whether its advisable I got rhinoplasty done 8 weeks after the cauterization? I do have a deviated septum, but my doctor said that the deviation is not severe and that cauterization would aide my breathing. I want to get rhinoplasty/septoplasty done for cosmetic purposes with another doctor. Would there be complications? Is it better to wait longer after the cauterization? Any info on this is appreciated!

Okay to have rhinoplasty after turbinate cauterization

+1

It is certainly acceptable to undergo a septorhinoplasty 8 weeks after turbinate cauterization.  The two surgeries will not conflict with one another and in experienced hands there should not be any complications related to both procedures.

+1

These two surgeries are most often done at one time, requiring one anesthetic and recovery.  Separating the Rhinoplasty from the turbinate work and dividing them into two procedures with two anesthetics seems unnecessary, IMHO.  I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for well over 22 years and I have found that proper placement of a small dose of kenalog 10 into the submucosal tissues of the inferior turbinate will cause shrinkage without the possible complications of turbinate resection or cauterization.  

Rhinoplasty timing after turbinate reduction

+1

You shouldn't have to wait very long after turbinate surgery before having a rhinoplasty or septoplasty. As many of the other doctors here mentioned, it is more typical to combine these procedures, though,

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Turbinate reduction and rhinoplasty

+1

Even a week in between the procedures is fine.  However, a board-certified Facial Plastic  Surgeon is an expert in both.  Having them both done done at the same time is best.  

Good luck

David Alessi, MD

Turbinate cauterization

+1

Reducing the turbinates either by cauterization or resection is often done to improve breathing and can be either done in combination with rhinoplasty or as an independent procedure. If you are planning  to undergo rhinoplasty anyway, it makes sense to combine the procedures. If you wish to have them done separately, 8 weeks is plenty of time between the two procedures.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Turbinates and rhinoplasty

+1

If you are set on septorhinoplasty surgery and have a close date in mind, I would then not do turbinate cauterization now and would combine it with septorhinoplasty. Turbinate procedures are done customarily with rhinoplasty surgery and it just makes no sense to put yourself through 2 separate procedures when it all can be done as one.  However, if you are not certain about septorhinoplasty yet and want to get some breathing improvement in the interim, then turbinate cauterization may be a valid option.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Turbs & Rhino

+1

Turbinate Reductions and Rhinoplasty procedures usually compliment one another and go well together........like salt & pepper!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after Turbinate Cauterization

+1

You will not have any problems doing a rhinoplasty 8 weeks after turbinate cauterization. Why not do both procedures at the same time. Cauterization is a relatively easy procedure that can be done by any good rhinoplasty surgeon.