Do I Need Rhinoplasty After Septoplasty?

Hello! I have been struggling with breathing issues for almost 13 years . I can't sleep at night, and sometimes I get sleep apnea. The thing is my nose got a lot bigger than its natural shape because as I child I used to widen the nostrils as well as the nasal passages using both my indices and thumbs to get enough air. Now my nose looks a bit droopy deflated on one side, and there is this bone like thing ( septum?) that is bent and swollen. Any medical advice to enlighten me? Thanks a million!

+1
Thanks for your excellent question. It is unclear to me whether or not you have already had a septoplasty and would now like to know about rhinoplasty or if you are asking whether or not both should be done simultaneously. That having been said, I think I can help give you as much information as possible. Nasal congestion can be due to multiple different factors but generally speaking we divide it into anatomic causes vs non-anatomic causes. Anatomic causes can be due to many different parts of the nose including the septum, the turbinates (bony projections within the nose), the nasal valve as well as other causes. These can be resolved surgically with various surgical maneuvers including but not limited to septoplasty, turbinate reduction, nasal valve procedures, etc. Non-anatomic causes include conditions such as seasonal allergies. Generally speaking, conditions such as seasonal allergies are non-surgical conditions and are better addressed with medication. It is important to determine which of the two you suffer from. Ultimately it may be both. I strongly suggest seeking the expertise of a Facial Plastic Surgeon for your condition since they are well trained in both the functional (breathing) as well as cosmetic aspects of septorhinoplasty. It seems like you may want both addressed. Best of luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty and septoplastyare two completely different operations  that can both be performed same time. Rhinoplasty is done for cosmetic purposes while septoplasty is performed for breathing issues. Sleep apnea can come from a multitude of factors including a deviated septum being only one factor. There are multiple factors  that can  create airflow restriction the nose such as a deviated septum, turbinate hypertrophy, valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, and allergies. After  you have failed medical management first, consideration  for surgical management of airflow issues only after a consultation examination by a experienced nasal surgeon

Nasal breathing issues

+1

Sounds as though you have internal nasal issues like a deviated septum and possible enlarged turbinates.  Usually these alone do not cause sleep apnea and you need a workup to rule other issues out.  It is up to you to decide if you want the outside of your nose corrected the same time the internal nasal surgery is done.  It is usually easier that way and there is only one recovery.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Improving an obstructed nasal airway

+1

It sound like you need to have an internal nasal examination and to determine whether or not you need a septoplasty and a turbinectomy.  

+1

Septoplasty is a procedure that opens the nasal airway by removing or straightening bent/ deviated cartilage and bone from inside the nose. Septorhinoplasty is a procedure that adds maneuvers that rebuild support of the airway and remedy collapse of the nasal airway with breathing. Another procedure that can be very helpful for properly selected patients is turbinate reduction. You will need a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist to determine how best to proceed. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon